Convict Cihlids with tetras?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

amack00

Reaction score
New to this forum, so hopefully this is the place for this question. I had a pair of convict cichlids and recently my female passed away. She was around 6 years old and has had countless spawns of fry. So now I have a single male and I don't want to get another female and deal with the constant hatching of fry again. I was thinking maybe getting a school of some sort of tetra or barb. I have a 55 gallon with only the one male convict in it right now. Just seeing if anybody has heard of keeping one cichlid and a school of smaller fish before. any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I have x-ray and Buenos Aires tetras with mine. 2 female convicts and a male firemouth. No real issues with the tetras from the convicts or firemouth.

My recommendation would be no, unless you are okay with possibly losing some/all of the tetras over time. I have kept Convict's several times over the years and have personally never met a more purposefully aggressive fish.

There may be someone here who has kept them with tetras successfully, but my recommendation are similarly sized/aggressive fish.

Yeah no luck keeping my single male convict with anything other than a single bristlenose and only then cause the bristlenose is so good at hiding and only comes out at night when the Convict is sleeping. Lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back