Convict cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishNturt808

Fish Crazy
2x Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
So I just got a pair of convicts shipped in to me. I want to keep them quarantined, but I also donā€™t want babies. They are still juvenile, but itā€™s looking like one is a male and one is a female. I know they are prolific breeders (online research), you guys think the time in quarantine is gonna be enough for them to start making babies?
then when it comes time to move them out of quarantine will separating them cause ā€˜depressionā€™ issues, and if I put the female in the main tank without the male, what do yā€™all think the chance is she breeds with either my blood parrot or firemouth? (I think both are male, which I guess for the blood parrot wonā€™t matter much since the males are supposed to be infertile)

How long do you plan to quarantine them for? I don't think they will breed especially if they are on meds. I'm pretty sure the blood parrot and the firemouth will eat the babies if any hatch. And on the topic of cross breeding; I don't think its likely to happen but I don't have any experience with these cichlids so I'm not too sure.

Regardless of what happens, its smart to quarantine your new fish so well done on doing that.

I was planning on a week or two. Havenā€™t quite decided yet. I also gotta decide if Iā€™m gonna move the male or female or both into the main tank. If I move just one I lose the qt, or have to buy a new set up.
I had to get these two shipped from out of state (permits and all) so itā€™s a recovery period too. I havenā€™t dosed with any meds because I donā€™t see any symptoms, so why stress the fish more with needless meds.

Even at small sizes convicts will breed, they mature very quickly. Whether or not they will breed instantly is no guarantee but give them a month and you'll have fry.

The Convict and Firemouth will definitely be able to breed and if the Parrot is fertile they will breed too - if you look up Polar Parrot Cichlids you will see what the offspring look like.

How big is the main tank?

Why did you buy a pair if you are going to keep them in seperate tanks?
Due to having them shipped. It was an emergency clause in case they didnā€™t make it. And they were supposed to be so juvenile you arenā€™t supposed to be able to tell the sex.

Even at small sizes convicts will breed, they mature very quickly. Whether or not they will breed instantly is no guarantee but give them a month and you'll have fry.

The Convict and Firemouth will definitely be able to breed and if the Parrot is fertile they will breed too - if you look up Polar Parrot Cichlids you will see what the offspring look like.

How big is the main tank?
Yeah Iā€™ve seen the polar blues. Itā€™s a 55 gallon. With plans to get something bigger eventually.

Fair enough :) guess its a challenge to get fish out there anyhow :)

I think you could be ok in a 55 at least you have a QT tank to pull one out if you get issues

Wills

I think you could be ok in a 55 at least you have a QT tank to pull one out if you get issues

Wills
My girlfriend is not stoked about me moving the qt tank inside, but if I separate the convicts I wanna be able to see my dude. Hahah. I also have a super red bnp juvenile in there. So, itā€™s going inside haha.

Wills
You think both male and female will be ok in the 55? If the chance sheā€™s gonna breed with the firemouth or parrot, I figure she may as well breed with the male convict since they are at least the same type of fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back