Converting Rena Aqualife 100 Corner To Marine

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sporen

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

well hopefully I am taking the plunge and getting a Rena Aqualife 100 corner tank which I plan to convert to marine. I realise this will cost a lot more than buying a plug and play set-up but I want something unique and it will match by Aqualife 100 cube in the same room. This will be my first marine tank and I am looking for a bit of guidance as to what additional hardware I will need? I will do away with the filter media and replace it with live rock rubble, the tank comes with a Rena smartheater which I will be using and T5 lighting. I imagine I will need a coupoe of powerheads and a skimmer? I was thinking about the TMC nano skimmer but all suggestions are welcome. Is there anything else I need? Is a UV sterilizer mandatory? As I have read mixed reviews about them. Finally, can anyone recommend a good nano reef book?

Thanks in advance

Lauren x

Hi,

well hopefully I am taking the plunge and getting a Rena Aqualife 100 corner tank which I plan to convert to marine.

:hi: to the salty side, firstly, I don't know your tank, but Rena make fab tanks so can understand why you would want to convert :good: can you tell us how many litres it holds and your plans, fish only, fish with live rock etc, corals

I realise this will cost a lot more than buying a plug and play set-up but I want something unique and it will match by Aqualife 100 cube in the same room.

Not always, there are some great bargains to be had

This will be my first marine tank and I am looking for a bit of guidance as to what additional hardware I will need? I will do away with the filter media and replace it with live rock rubble,

excellent - so assume you are wanting a reef then :good:

the tank comes with a Rena smartheater

again excellent :good:

which I will be using and T5 lighting.

I have T5 lighting myself - just need to realise there are some corals (if you want corals) that you will not be able to keep

I imagine I will need a coupoe of powerheads

Indeed, if the tank is 100 litres then one for inside the tank, would recommend a Koralia 2 off fleabay and one for mixing your salty stuff, a cheapo one is fine

and a skimmer?

Soem people run a tank without a skimmer, but I would recommend you get one :good: again if the tank is 100 litres a nano will be fine I was thinking about the TMC nano skimmer but all suggestions are welcome. Yep good choice

Is there anything else I need? Is a UV sterilizer mandatory?

Nope

As I have read mixed reviews about them. Finally, can anyone recommend a good nano reef book?

I wouldn't bother buying a book about nano tanks - grab your self a note pad, read some of the nano set-up threads on here and the pinned topics at the top of the nano section :good: ask loads of questions, the only stupid question is the question not asked :good:

there are several other things you will need, but when you are reading the start-up threads you will quickly see what they are and can be added to your notebook

Oh and one last thing - expect lfs to often tell you exactly what you want to hear, if you are not sure ask on here and we will always be happy to help

Thanks in advance

You are welcome lauren, oh, would be good if you add where you are from so people can help you look for things in your area - sometimes we come across a bargain and can point people in the right direction

Lauren x

Seffie x

:fish:

Hi Sefffie, thanks for your reply. :good:

The tank holds 100L and has a built in filter in one corner with lots of room for rock rubble. The pump provided is pretty good so I will keep that an in addition to it get a Koralia 2 to hav in the main body of the tank (I was looking at them on the bay yesterday so glad you recommended one!). I want to have fish, live rocks and some easy / hardy soft corals to start with, would the T5 lighting be enough to sustain them? I assume I will need a test kit but I know some of them are not particularly accurate, can you recomend a good kit?

My LFS has some good deals on Rena tanks which is why I bought my 100L cube (first fish tank I have had from brand new!). Also, I am guessing a hydrometer is a waste of time, should I just invest in a refractometer in the first place? (wishing I hadn't sold my TMC one that I had for my brackish tank! :rolleyes: ) If anyone comes across some bargains in the Tring (Hertfordshire) area let me know! Also, (once I have done enough overtime to pay for the tank etc) do many people sell live rock on here as I would prefer to get some stuff with plenty of life in it! Thanks for putting up with my many (many!) questions!

Lauren x

Hi Sefffie, thanks for your reply. :good:

The tank holds 100L and has a built in filter in one corner with lots of room for rock rubble. The pump provided is pretty good so I will keep that an in addition to it get a Koralia 2 to hav in the main body of the tank (I was looking at them on the bay yesterday so glad you recommended one!). I want to have fish, live rocks and some easy / hardy soft corals to start with, would the T5 lighting be enough to sustain them?

yes, enough to keep softies and maybe even a euphyllia high up :good:

I assume I will need a test kit but I know some of them are not particularly accurate, can you recomend a good kit?

Salifert, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph to start with

My LFS has some good deals on Rena tanks which is why I bought my 100L cube (first fish tank I have had from brand new!). Also, I am guessing a hydrometer is a waste of time, should I just invest in a refractometer in the first place?

Yes indeed, a refractometer

(wishing I hadn't sold my TMC one that I had for my brackish tank! :rolleyes: ) If anyone comes across some bargains in the Tring (Hertfordshire) area let me know!

not that far from Trod and I (about an hour or so)

Also, (once I have done enough overtime to pay for the tank etc) do many people sell live rock on here as I would prefer to get some stuff with plenty of life in it! Thanks for putting up with my many (many!) questions!

pm sent

Lauren x

Seffie x

:fish:

Hi,

well hopefully I am taking the plunge and getting a Rena Aqualife 100 corner tank which I plan to convert to marine. I realise this will cost a lot more than buying a plug and play set-up but I want something unique and it will match by Aqualife 100 cube in the same room. This will be my first marine tank and I am looking for a bit of guidance as to what additional hardware I will need? I will do away with the filter media and replace it with live rock rubble, the tank comes with a Rena smartheater which I will be using and T5 lighting. I imagine I will need a coupoe of powerheads and a skimmer? I was thinking about the TMC nano skimmer but all suggestions are welcome. Is there anything else I need? Is a UV sterilizer mandatory? As I have read mixed reviews about them. Finally, can anyone recommend a good nano reef book?

Thanks in advance

Lauren x

Hi Sporen

Im interested to know whether you did end up converting a Rena Aqualife 100 from tropical to marine? I presently have the same tank and I want to convert it to marine but im not sure whether the filtration system/lights etc can handle it - what would you suggest?

Thank you for reading :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back