Converting From Tropical Freshwater To Marine

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SPO-00L

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im seriously thinking about getting back into marine fish again and plan on using an external filter (fx5) as well as a sump. I was wondering if the mature media in the FX5 that im currently using with the freshwater will be sufficient or will i have to start a cycle from scratch?

Cheers, Trent

you have to start a cycle from scratch. The bacteria you use in freshwater is different and wont survive in salt water.

you have to start a cycle from scratch. The bacteria you use in freshwater is different and wont survive in salt water.
you can do it, ive currently cycled in freshwater, and im taking a green spotted puffer through low end brackish into fully marine conditions over abvout 6 months, im going to do water changes of 1.002 s.g. until its actually at 1.002(becuase of only 30% water changes). this gives the bacteria the ability to adapt and process waste...

you can do it, ive currently cycled in freshwater, and im taking a green spotted puffer through low end brackish into fully marine conditions over abvout 6 months, im going to do water changes of 1.002 s.g. until its actually at 1.002(becuase of only 30% water changes). this gives the bacteria the ability to adapt and process waste...

Indeed you are doing it, but it is slightly different. As Ben says, the bacteria in salt water is different to fresh water, so unless you are doing the same as Adam, then the answer is no

Seffie x

Yours is going to be over several months, so bacteria will die and new stuff more suited to the environment will grow. Doing it all in one go is a no no

You way will work fine though. If you end up going live rock when your marine aswel all the better.

Bacteria isn't adaptable, it only survives and multiplies within specific parameters, due to mutation these parameters vary. As you do the water changes the some of bacteria will die off. ultimately through the process though you will have a complete change to marine specific bacteria while always ensuring you have sufficient to meet the needs of the Puffer. I cheated slightly when I set up my marine, I purhased live rock off ebay from tanks being broken down. Already cycled and in one case 4 years old so lots of micro faumna and various good algaes, not to mention the bacteria.

Thanks everyone. I planned on purchasing a 6x2x2 already established tank with a sump and live rock etc, i was planning on using the fx5 for some extra turnover. So in that case it would be better to just clean out the media from the fresh water and let it be.

If you have enough live rock (0.5kg per gallon) then you wouldnt even need to run the filter. In fact, if youre going to have a reef, it would cause high nitrates as filter media can eventually become nitrate factories. If you did still want to run the filter for extra turn over, put live rock rubble in it and maybe some fine filter floss at the top to remove small particles from the water and rinse it out every week or so.

Just my little contribution :p

josh

Filters only tend to become Nitrate factories if you too lazy to clean them. They will need weekly attention if you run them, but aren't a bad addition if kept clean...

Filters only tend to become Nitrate factories if you too lazy to clean them. They will need weekly attention if you run them, but aren't a bad addition if kept clean...
Now, this term "Nitrate factories" :huh: will some one please explain what this is, and on which filter media in particular, and how often you would need to clean the offending pieces? :look:

Nitrate factory refers to a filters ability to build-up high nitrate levels in the main tank

Any media that can catch Detritus is prone to it - this includes Live rock

You need to clean the filter at least once a fortnight, ideally weekly however :good:

Nitrate factory refers to a filters ability to build-up high nitrate levels in the main tank

Any media that can catch Detritus is prone to it - this includes Live rock

You need to clean the filter at least once a fortnight, ideally weekly however :good:
so all of the browny/black gunk basically? and thats becuase it takes longer to rot i supose?

Yer, you want the gunk out. It's not as it takes a long time to rot, more a medium time. This is what causes the Nitrate spikes

Most reactions

trending

Back