Converting Freshwater To Cichlids Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pbase5583

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
what should i do, i have a black ghost knife fish, tiretrack eel, asian needle nose gar, 4 rainbow fish, paratilapia polleni and an angelfish. I am going to keep the tiretrack eel but could i keep the paratilapia polleni and/or the asian needle nose gar. If not its ok but other than that

What do I need besides caves to start it?

If i have a cycled tank do i need to re-cycle it?

I have sand substrate do i need to change it?

I have java moss and fake plants do they need to go?

I have no idea on being able to keep those fish with them. I'd assume the eel will be fine, but no clue on the gar.
No need to re-cycle it. You might want to put some crushed coral in the filter to raise the Ph. They like a high PH and a high temp(around 80). Sand is a perfect substrate so no need to change that. Java moss is fine, and so is the fake plants. They normally terrorize live plants besides a few so this will make it easier on you. You need plenty of hiding spaces and sight breaks to lessen aggression and to mark territories. Also over stock your tank to lessen aggression. Just make sure to do A LOT of research into the fish and their compatibility, keep a high stock level, and ask plenty of questions.

Look forward to pics of the tank!

alright thanks, i will post pics in this forum so you will see them, any ideas on which ones to do. i like electric yellows but what lake are they and what are good tankmates, i might do discus but probably cichlids

alright thanks, i will post pics in this forum so you will see them, any ideas on which ones to do. i like electric yellows but what lake are they and what are good tankmates, i might do discus but probably cichlids

Electric Yellows are cool. Pretty mellow and are Mbuna from Malawi. I like Calvus from Lake Tang personally. Peacocks are very colorful and a good choice and from Malawi. Any idea on what lake you want to delve into?

i have no idea, could you post some pics for ideas, i like electric yellow so that lake, maybe malawi, i have no idea, should i do that or cichlids
i am asking questions because i have never owned them . thats why im asking
what do you suggest

i have no idea, could you post some pics for ideas, i like electric yellow so that lake, maybe malawi, i have no idea, should i do that or cichlids
i am asking questions because i have never owned them . thats why im asking
what do you suggest

Labs(electric yellows are cichlids from Malawi so you should keep your tank to 1 lake).

Some good cichlids to go with them are

Labeotropheus Fuellerborni are pretty cool IMO
Psuedotropheus Acei
Melanochromis Johanni
Psuedotropheus Socolofi is pretty cool as an albino or regular.

I doubt you'll be able to keep your eel. I'm guessing a definite no on the gar. Don't know about the paratilapea. majority of african cichlids need really hard water and a high pH. Typically achieved by using crushed coral or aragonite sand. Most cichlids from malawi are also mostly herbivorous, and love to destroy plants. With like yellow labs need lots of rocks, being mbuna cichlids (mbuna means rock-dwelling) as decoration. Lots of research is to be done, here.

yea i know, im about to go to this fish store about 10-15 miles from here and check it some of there cichlids out. not to buy any but to get an idea of what i should be basing my tank off of. from what i heard was the eel is really hardy and they could stay together but i dont know.

and jkarlson you really do know how to find good looking fish. they look sexy and are the kind of fish i would like in my tank. considering its a 65 gallon tank how many cichlids should i do. I was thinking 8-10. but small ones

your tank is only big enough for smaller mbuna species. it's also way too small for a lot of the fish you currently have IMO, including the eel. mbuna tanks need to be really overstocked to disperse aggression and keep one from becoming an alpha male and picking off all its tank mates, which is why a lot of rocks to form caves are required so they can claim territories. you also want to aim to have your tank volume filtered 10 times per hour. Typically only having 8 to 10 will not work. It's good to have about 15 or more, depending on the species. Most mbuna species will also only allow you to have a few males and lots of females, or else the males will murder each other.

Maybe you could look into some medium sized central and south american species of cichlids instead, if this isn't the tank you're looking for. They're a whole different ball game.

yea i know, im about to go to this fish store about 10-15 miles from here and check it some of there cichlids out. not to buy any but to get an idea of what i should be basing my tank off of. from what i heard was the eel is really hardy and they could stay together but i dont know.

and jkarlson you really do know how to find good looking fish. they look sexy and are the kind of fish i would like in my tank. considering its a 65 gallon tank how many cichlids should i do. I was thinking 8-10. but small ones

A good mbuna to start you off with IMO is Pseudotropheus Saulosi they are the smaller mbuna but for your tank size would look great and you could have about 30 in there with good filtration and lots of rocks. There is other small mbuna you could consider but if I was you I wouldn't jump in with both feet and buy lots of different types until you have some experience.

no its not, maybe the gar and paratilapia but the others(rainbowfish,angelfish,blackghostnkifefish,and eel) are good in this tank,

but the paratilapia grows slow,so he will be good for a while

and justing those were the ones i were looking at, so colorful.
the store i will buy them from,(in about a month)do not distinguish between male and female, they are just in 5 big tanks.

i did look into south american cichlids, downstairs i have a blood parrot cichlid, dont really like him. then the jack dempseys arent appealing. but that is good advice,15 or more. the person that i went to look at the fish store said the same thing.

as of right now i just bought some rocks and took everything out of my tank. I am going to buy more rocks tomorrow but until i move the fish out i will not buffer and use the salt in my water. then when the pH and everything else is perfect. it will be time to stock my tank

i will show you guys my tank but could someone tell me how to post a picture without sending you guys through a link

panosNoFlex

http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t367/panosNoFlex/?action=view&current=4d7f42b1.jpg
when i click the image button is says im not allowed to do that, but anyways heres my tank
sorry its cloudy
its from moving stuff around

That tank looks rather stubby in the picture. What are the dimensions?

Black ghost knives deserve 6 foot long tanks at least, and I don't know squat about gar fish, but a lot of them get gigantic and would not be able to so much as turn around in a standard 65 gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back