Converting An Aquaone 500?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pixiesandfairies

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok. I know there is a thread going about converting from fw to sw, but i didn`t want to hijack the thread.
I have an Aquaone 500, I am thinking on converting to sw. How easy would it be? I know i need salt, coral sand, live rock and to wait for longer than a fw to cycle. I have access to a refractometer and salted RO.
How much live rock should i put in? I have the filter that the tank came with and was told to run this too??? As a filter or as a power-head?
I know i can only have maybe:
A hermit crab
A cleaner shrimp
A star fish
and a couple of small fish like wild caught clowns or yellow tail damsels ect.
How many small fish?
Also was told i could put mushroom rock and dusters in and maybe some soft coral??
Is the lighting ok?
I would rather keep the lighting and choose what goes into the tank around it.
How much more work will it be to maintain than a fw? I already use RO (unsalted) So this is no hassle.

this is what your going to need:

Refractometer
Aragonite/Coral Sand
Powerheads
Skimmer
Heater
Lighting
Salt
Test Kits
Containers
Live Rock
RO Unit (optional)

Ok.
I have the use of a Refractometer and test kits and RO unit and salt(would be over kill to buy an RO unit for this size tank!).
I have the filter that came with the tank and was told to take the bottom bit with media off and use it as a powerhead.
Was told i don`t need a skimmer as it is a small tank????
I have a heater and tank has lighting in it.
What do i need the containers for????
So that leaves the shopping list at:
Aragonite/Coral Sand
Live Rock

Am i right???
What would you put in this tank?

Yeah you dont need skimmers on small tanks, water changes are enough.

you dont need a skimmer because its on 65 litres right?

containers are for transporting RO water from your lfs (assuming your getting it from there as you have said you dont want an RO unit)

you might have to check the lighting to make sure its T5, metal halide or PCs

and you will need about 3 powerheads to get maximum water circulation!

Cool i have Ro containers alreadt as i use RO with my bettas. :good:
I was told that the lighting only needs to be changed if i want to keep corals???
3 powerheads?? that will create a whirpool! :crazy: Anyone else know about this?

that will create a whirpool! :crazy: Anyone else know about this?

And that's the idea :). The natural reef is an exceptionally turbulent environment. Many organisms depend on the high flow to survive. We usually try to aim for 20-30 times the tank volume turned over per hour if you're gonna keep basic corals.

id go for one big one and 1 or 2 smaller ones, the smallers ones for surface aggitation and flow round the back of your rocks to stop detrius collecting and say a hydor koralia as your main flow...

Always better to have at least 2. In case one fails, the tank can limp along till you get a replacement. If you only have one powerhead and it fails, everything in your tank will be dead in a matter of hours...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back