Converting a Biorb Tank to a Different Filter/Substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elf_Sprite

Reaction score
Hi, I have an 8 gallon Biorb Flow tank. I've had it for about a year and a half. I love the tank but I hate the filtration system, and the biorb ceramic substrate is tearing up my current Betta's fins (he likes to sleep on the bottom).

So I'm wanting to change up the filtration system and change the substrate. I've done a bunch of filter research and I'm thinking I'll go with the Aqueon AT10 submersible filter (does that sound like a good one?). I'm wanting to use 3-6mm rounded glass balls for substrate, so it would be easy to plant, and no issue with hurting my betta's fins or scratching the tank glass.

What I don't know is, what do I do as far as dismantling the current filter system in the Biorb? I know small stones have a danger of getting stuck in the filter. I do want to use an airstone.

Would I keep the tube and all that are in the Biorb, and just add the Aqueon filter? Would I remove the tube and filter, and keep the Biorb airstone plugged in? Would I unplug the Biorb airstone too, and just put in a separate airstone in the tank?

If I'm keeping the Biorb airstone and tube set up for oxygen, do I remove the sponge and carbon particles, and would I also need to use larger substrate?

Thank you!

I'm not sure (pics might help?) but just wanted to say betta do not need an airstone as well as a filter. They like a gentle flow and can get oxygen from the surface using their labyrinth organ.
Also that you should leave the old filter running for 6 weeks after you add the new one (or at least add the old sponge to the new filter) so that the cycle does not crash.

Hi, I have an 8 gallon Biorb Flow tank. I've had it for about a year and a half. I love the tank but I hate the filtration system, and the biorb ceramic substrate is tearing up my current Betta's fins (he likes to sleep on the bottom).

So I'm wanting to change up the filtration system and change the substrate. I've done a bunch of filter research and I'm thinking I'll go with the Aqueon AT10 submersible filter (does that sound like a good one?). I'm wanting to use 3-6mm rounded glass balls for substrate, so it would be easy to plant, and no issue with hurting my betta's fins or scratching the tank glass.

What I don't know is, what do I do as far as dismantling the current filter system in the Biorb? I know small stones have a danger of getting stuck in the filter. I do want to use an airstone.

Would I keep the tube and all that are in the Biorb, and just add the Aqueon filter? Would I remove the tube and filter, and keep the Biorb airstone plugged in? Would I unplug the Biorb airstone too, and just put in a separate airstone in the tank?

If I'm keeping the Biorb airstone and tube set up for oxygen, do I remove the sponge and carbon particles, and would I also need to use larger substrate?

Thank you!
I’ve been looking into modifying a Biorb filter too. There are kits you can buy on Amazon (searching for Biorb filter mod kit ),, but these seem extremely expensive for a donut of sponge and some porous gravel., and templates. .. watching videos about it on YouTube also explained how you can cover the gaps at the bottom of the Biorb with sponge., layer on fine gravel which has ‘bio-active’ potential (lots of tiny pores) ,, and then they suggest a fine filter floss goes into the original Biorb filter cartridge. … concern I had was that you would still need to take out the cartridge to clean/replace the filter floss. And I’m guessing it would also be necessary to change donut of sponge at the bottom fairly regularly.
(I’ve been struggling with a Biorb too! Hope things are going well for you.

Are all biorgs fish bowls, or is that just the one model I've seen?

The original Biorbs were spherical which they now call 'classic'. Now they make a whole series of different models - a cube, two different rectangles, 'Flow' and 'Life' (both of which have a very small footprint and are very tall), an oval model 'Loop' and a cylindrical model 'Tube'. What they all have in common is the filter system - the cartridge and the ceramic rocks. As it's an undergravel filter it is not easy to change the substrate.

I hated my Biorb. I think it would almost be cheaper and easier to just start a new tank like a Fluval Spec V.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back