Constructing A Moss Wall: The Insta-Wall Approach!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I am curious as to where you placed your heater. I can't tell if you have one in there or not from the pictures.

Sorry to hear about the tank it was very beautiful. :)

I am curious as to where you placed your heater. I can't tell if you have one in there or not from the pictures.

Sorry to hear about the tank it was very beautiful. :)

The tank was not heated. I live in South Florida, indoor temp is always around low to mid 70s in the Summer. The "Winters" (for lack of a better word) never get really cold. In the first post, I advise not to use this method with a heater, unless you are attaching it somewhere else.

I'm not worried about a rescape. The goal when I go to AGA in November, is to pick up some plants for a rescape. I should get on top of ordering some supplies for the rescape.

llj

Ah, I see. That explains why I didn't see one. ;) Thanks a bunch.
J

Love thid idea.
Can I ask did you thread it the piece of moss into and back out of the same hole each time or did you skip a few? I'd imagine you went the full effort and done every hole.

Love thid idea.
Can I ask did you thread it the piece of moss into and back out of the same hole each time or did you skip a few? I'd imagine you went the full effort and done every hole.

Nope, didn't do every hole. I only threaded enough so that the moss stayed in place.

L

I can't find the divider used for this moss wall anywhere. Can someone help me finding these dividers? I want to create a moss wall like this for my 20 gallon tank.

Oooh I like this idea. It’d have to be end walls as cable slots are on the back of lid. Plus my lid sits on an overhang which would prevent to ss clip method being used. Maybe suction cups on front and back walls would hold it up against side walls in a sideways style. Hmmm.

Looks great. I just think people have to know that it take much pruning to keep the moss flat. I've tried it on wood of course..and it goes from very nice and mossy log looks...to weedy if I don't cut it back often. Or..it even floats away in a clump that detaches. I take that for now and tie to other woods. After that? Might trade it to LFS.
Java moss is one of the greatest aquarium plants and I'm not complaining at all about its idiosyncrasies,but its not a no care plant that's all I'm saying.

Just traded for a good amount of credit a fistfull of Java. Of all the "make money selling plants" on youtube...they never mention that one plant the stores always take of all you grow,is Java Moss.

Just traded for a good amount of credit a fistfull of Java. Of all the "make money selling plants" on youtube...they never mention that one plant the stores always take of all you grow,is Java Moss.
Thanks...now I have to get some to grow!
Seriously...

Was this project for decorative purposes? It looked great. Gives me ideas, but a totally different direction ...
Hmmnnn...let's see if I can hash it out and maybe get some input.

I have to post a photo..but I have a sort of Moss wall going. Java Moss on some wood like most do..but its grown to fill the gaps in between the wood and I have been using a stick to try and flatten all of it against a commercial rock wall of plastic or epoxy sold for aquarium backgrounds. It hides my giant inside filter behind its 24" x 20 tall size more or less.Surprisingly the moss has reacted by not looking puffy or lumpy. Maybe just the physical act of the dowel I use to push it flat has caused sort of a change in growth habit? Just reporting.

Here it is. It's in the quietest part of the tank..so catches detritus more then the moss on the other left side of the aquarium. When it puts on a growth spurt..some branches resemble fir tree's and looks something like Christmas moss..but not quite as nice as that harder to grow moss. Its not as good as it can look..but its doing well enough to outcompete the Vallisneria. Moss,I can trade for good money. The Val you cant give away!

Attachments

• IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 155
Here it is. It's in the quietest part of the tank..so catches detritus more then the moss on the other left side of the aquarium. When it puts on a growth spurt..some branches resemble fir tree's and looks something like Christmas moss..but not quite as nice as that harder to grow moss. Its not as good as it can look..but its doing well enough to outcompete the Vallisneria. Moss,I can trade for good money. The Val you cant give away!
Looks neat!

Uh.. .I won't turn up my nose at some val ☆

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back