Constipation and Epsom Salt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettacrazy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone remember how to use the epsom salt bath for constipated bettas! i know it worked before for one of my bettas but that was more than a year ago. my little is bloated, hasn't pooped nor eaten. i've tried frozen blood worms, pellets, peas... nothing. so i was thinking of using the epsom salt bath as a last resort. if anyone remember, please let me know!!! :) thanks!

Setting up an Epsom Salt bath:

Add 1 Tbsp per gallon of Epsom Salt to some aged, temperature-adjusted (same temperature as the water the betta is already in) water.

Pour Epsom Salt solution into a containter.

Place the Betta in the Epsom Salt bath for 15-20 minutes. While the Betta is having a bath, change the water in his tank so that he has nice, clean water to go back to afterwards. Make SURE that the water in all of these containers is the same temperature, we don't need the Betta getting another disease right now.

Hopefully the Epsom Salt bath will help to loosen the blockage, just sit back and watch. The Epsom Salt bath can be repeated up to two times a day - just be aware that it is stressful to the fish, so if you can get him to eat the pea, give the pea a shot first.
I didn't write this - I found it online at petfish.net (eek!)

Good luck and please, do let us know if it works!!

:) Thank the fishy gods for BettaMomma. I'll give that a try first, then the daphina, maracyn 2, collodial silver, and if all else fails --- ExLax. Will let you know tomorrow if we've had any . . . er . . . movement.

I have also dosed Epsom directly into the tank the fish is in- ie not as a bath. I use the 1 teasppon/gal. dosing level and will redose daily. Epsom wont hurt anything and plants seem to like it as well. Sometimes it can take a few days for the blockage to pass.

You know what else helps with betta constipation?
When you stand near their tank... and clench your fists, jump up and down, and yell (in Cheech and Chong tone) "Come on! You can do eeeeeeeeeeeeet!"

:rolleyes:

Keep us posted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back