Constant algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Chunandler

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Although I have a plec, every week I have an alarming about of algae that I have to scrape off. The last two weeks I have changed 20% of the water every friday. Is there anything else I can do to tone down the algae? Should I change the water more often?

I always have been told that frequent water changes would result in even more algae. Maybe some light control would help!!! I change the water once a month,but talking about twice a week... thats just too much.

Hi,

Many other factores as well to consider, lighting (powere and duration), water parameters nitrate phosphate etc.

No direct sunlight

Any live plants

not all plecs are good algae eaters :/

hth :)

I have had my light on constantly since I got the tank. Should I turn it off at night? More than that?
:thumbs:

you should always turn off your lights at night. give the fish a break from a constant day. drives me crazy when my husband leaves the tank lights on for a night light. for chrissakes he is a grown man! anyways, can help to releive the stress of your fish. eight hours of light is plenty. if you are not able to turn off the lights, invest in a timer.

maggie

chances are thats were you algae problems is stemmi9ng from. also if you can add a couple of plants this will also help. plecos dont eat enough algae by themselves to clean your tank.you need an army and as www said some dont eat it well at all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back