Considering Discus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sanj

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about going the Discus way...done alot of research, but still wanted to get some advice.

My tap water is Ph 7.4 Kh ~8 9um not sure actually) Gh ~16-18

The tank I am considering is the one currenlty with Angels in it. 48x28x20(w)

The water in the aquarium is Ph 6.8-7.0 Kh~6 Gh >16

Thinking about getting an RO unit so that i can control the water better, going for a full unit, but not sure what size, im thinking 30gpd ...has anyone got an RO unit are they easy to install?
Any recommendations?

Unsure about current inhabitants I have heard the same Disucs experts say ~45l per fish to start with, but then also say you can go down to 22l per fish with experiance. Is that a complete Newbie to keeping aquariums or just Discus? I guess its the first.

Either way dont want a traffic jam.

Any experainces with Angels and Discus? will definatley keep the Cardinals and Rummys.

Not sure whether to keep angels or not and remove the Congos?

Or remove bothe angles and congos

How many Discus? :/ 4-6 maybe?

Due to the amount of water changes, min 20% weak if moderatley hard water (according to DD website) small cardinals and Rummys will not have much effect on bioload.

keep:
4 Peruvian Angels
6 or5, or 4 Discus
No congos
All the little buggers?

just

6 Discus
little buggers
and maybe congos aswell?

Hmmm...

Also I guess i would have to get ro first do a few water changes to get to new stabilised condtion before adding any discus?

Alos how on earth do peopls do large water changes without 100 walking up and down with buckets?

Do use long siphon tubes inot your drain?

Also with Ro, approx 25% should be treated tapwater or water passed through a heavy metal resin. Cant do latter tooo expensive RO is expensive enough at the mo. Just that adding dechlorinated tap water seems to defeat the object of RO inregards to re adding undesirable elements albeit at a diluted level.

Any help / suggestions pleas ???

:D

I'd go for 5 discus and the small tetras. Skip the larger congos that might stress them out and I wouldn't keep the angels because of added bioload/stress due to size and relative aggression.

I'm sorry I can't help with the water but getting an RO would be a good idea. However, get it before you get the discus or you'll need to acclimatise them again and that'll be stressful.

what yours need pay attention to size measure from each fish, and their behaviour, especially discus and angel which wish you maintain with, tetra fish ( neon tetra, red nose or Cardinal tetra) they are balmy enough along with discus. discus and angel fish represent taking care of its region better and very protective, of course if/when matured and full grown.
its just my little experience for how to keep, raise and breed discus...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back