Considering an L200

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FriendlyGeek

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As per the title really, we have an established tank and would like to add a pleco of some kind and the L200 is really beautiful

My OH is absolutely set on one of these and I do like them a lot, but my concern is that the tank is planted with mainly java fern and it's quite heavily planted with them, so with the L200 being green, my fear is that we will never see it! We have also read a lot of different information about them when researching online - the size they grow to seems to be up for debate and also what food is best

Any pointers would be very welcome and also any other suggestions for a pleco that won't simply disappear in all our greenery :lol:

Sorry should add that this is a 240l tank (minus some for substrate allowance etc), lots and lots of Java Fern, one Anubuis and fine black gravel subtrate, with wood and rocks so plenty of hiding spots

Just do it. From your description you have the ideal tank for it, and with all of the places to hide, it should thrive. Feed it blanched veggies and algae wafers, but do so out in the open so that it gets comfortable and doesn't feel threatened while eating. I have had a couple over the years, even in heavily planted tanks, and never had an issue with them being not visible.

You haven't told us what sort of 'Pleco' you're looking at acquiring.
I have a Bristlenose, for example, in a very well planted tank and it is always visible, throughout the day, either on the tank sides, wood, substrate of plant leaves.

You haven't told us what sort of 'Pleco' you're looking at acquiring.
I have a Bristlenose, for example, in a very well planted tank and it is always visible, throughout the day, either on the tank sides, wood, substrate of plant leaves.
I don't know yet, hence asking the question, we are just researching at the moment and the L200 caught our eye

It sounds silly but anything with the "appendages" on the face is out for me, I just don't like the look of them (sorry!!!! :blush:) they give me the willys!!

I don't know yet, hence asking the question, we are just researching at the moment and the L200 caught our eye

It sounds silly but anything with the "appendages" on the face is out for me, I just don't like the look of them (sorry!!!! :blush:) they give me the willys!!
Then you're going to have to be cautious...you don't want one that will outgrow the tank. Larger plecs are also poop machines and are great at damaging plants and re-arranging the aquascape. ;)

Yeah we don't want to get one that ends up huge and I understand from reading around that the L200 is relatively small so that was another one of the plus points for it. We tend to have to fix the plants quite often anyway......our vampire shrimp are very good at having move arounds :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back