Connect cannister filter to UG filter question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jill71

Reaction score
Hi! I have always used a UG filter, but just set up a 55 gallon with just a cannister filter. I love the cannister filter, but there is so much "stuff" that gets stirred up off the gravel when I clean the glass or something in between water changes/vaccuuming, which I do once or twice a month. I would like to put in an UG filter, and put the supply water into the UG filter tube on one end, and the intake tube into the UG filter on the other end. Has anyone done this that can give me a yay or a nay? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you:)

Hi! I have always used a UG filter, but just set up a 55 gallon with just a cannister filter. I love the cannister filter, but there is so much "stuff" that gets stirred up off the gravel when I clean the glass or something in between water changes/vaccuuming, which I do once or twice a month. I would like to put in an UG filter, and put the supply water into the UG filter tube on one end, and the intake tube into the UG filter on the other end. Has anyone done this that can give me a yay or a nay? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you:)

If I understand this idea correctly, I do not think it workable, nor of any benefit, probably quite the reverse. Water moved by the canister would go down one side, under the UG filter plate, and up the other side, without getting up into the actual fish area. The UG actually would not be functioning at all. The detritus would collect in the media of the canister, but as so little is being drawn down through the substrate...?

Many of us, well all of us actually, who are "of a certain age" started out with UG filters, then the corner box filter. We naturally tend to like what we grew up with. While there are pros and cons to UG as with most filter methods, I tend to think this one has more cons. Drawing the water, along with all the detritus, down into the substrate where it then sits decomposing may provide "clear" water but not necessarily "clean" water. At one time powerheads on the UG uplift tubes were suggested as the answer to this, but that still means more water movement through the substrate than what is "best" in an aquarium.

Thank you for your answer, Byron! That makes total sense, and I feel stupid for not realizing that myself:) I appreciate you taking the time to help me see that!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back