Confusion

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FrAnK3333

Fish Herder
Reaction score
whe perparing sand for the aquarium how do u clean ive look at othe acticles and im confused how do you rinse sand?

half fill a bucket with sand, put a hose into it and turn on the tap. when the water runs clear it's clean. repeat for remaining sand.

have fun, it took me 9 hrs to do 50kg.

i'ved never washed my sand and my tanks have been almost crystal everytime after filling.

this method is from a empty tank...

place the sand in the tank then place a lid on the sand, in the middle of a lid place a tub which wil over flow onto the lid, fill the tank by filling the tub up and letting it overflow.

this is what i do everytime, overwise i would of had to wash 100kg for my 2 rescent tanks!!

I use fine dried silica sand by the way

so when i fill the bucket and have the water running i just let it overflow?

heres my little secret. It may not be practical to the average person, but I put my sand into a cement mixer(clean) and in less than 20 min. the sand is dense and never cluds my water. :D

FrAnK3333 said:
so when i fill the bucket and have the water running i just let it overflow?
yep, works best if you put something for the bucket to overflow onto aswell.

i used to do it with the overflow plate and had good results but with the lid of something does it much better.

i wish i knew about this when i bought the tank 1 and half months ago its 9 degrees outside it was 50 degrees out when i bought the tank. Oh well i guess i have to clean it inside.

we used a rubbish bin to clean ours.

And it did take house to run clear!

BUT it depends on the type of sand - we used playsand that is quite dusty.

FrAnK3333 said:
i dont have a cement mixer
Well I guess you can't use that method then! :D

IME, it works best to take a small tub or 5 gallon bucket, add some sand, fill up with water, swish it around, dump out the water, repeat 'til water is fairly clear. Didn't take no hours to do it this way!

I agree with heresmike, did mine in the same way. Took a couple of hours but it's far better and easier to do it right the first time. After putting it in the tank i had no clouldiness whatsoever.

na, do what paul v biker said,

same what i did and the water is crystal :)

my sand was clean, in fact i only cleaned 2 bags, well they were already clean once i out in the water it ran clear, and when i put the sand in my tank it didnt get cloudy, not even for a second.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back