Confusion, is my swordtail a swordtail and is it male or female?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's a late swordtail male. Late swordtail males are large for their male characteristics will show up pretty late. And this concerns a koi swordtail. Koi swordtails are namend after koi carps. Most common varieties with koi swordtails are kohaku (bi-color), sanke (tri-coolor and more white than black markings) and showas (tri-color with more black markings).
If a late swordtail male is ready to show the male characteristics, it starts with the anal fin and after that the sword will develop. That's the normal sequence. So, this is not a cross between swordtail x platy. Not even one of the ancestors is a platy. For red swordtails come from wild swordtails that belong to the green swordtails. But in certain xiphophorus helleri wild species, red markings do occur. Sometimes a total reddish wild swordtail can occur but it started of as a green one with later on red markings that became more (but mostly those are dominant males in the wild). I've got three of them at the moment overhere. The red gene of the swordtails has been used to develop total red based specimens. Also the white comes form the X.helleri itself. But yes, there are also a lot of fancy swordtails that have platy ancestors.
Thank you. I have another Male swordtail, will they both be okay living together? There are no females. I was just concerned when you said he looks beaten up. But I haven’t seen any fights between them

Thank you. I have another Male swordtail, will they both be okay living together? There are no females. I was just concerned when you said he looks beaten up. But I haven’t seen any fights between them
Depending on their own character and the space available, they might fight at a certain point or just be the best friends. Hard to say beforehand...
But I don't know what you mean by "I was just concerned when you said he looks beaten up. But I haven’t seen any fights between them". I think may have been mistaken by mixing me up with somebody else who said this. For I haven't mentioned this.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back