Confused By Start Of Cycle

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GetItSahn

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon with a Fluval 406 canister filter. I added a nice bit of mature filter media. After adding 3 ppm of ammonia i tested and 2 days following the addition i was down to 1 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrates. 

I redosed back up to 3ppm and after two more days I've tested and have 1 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrates. I really don't know what to make of this, what exactly do these results mean?

It means that your bacteria are fairly balanced, and as soon as the ammonia bacs process the ammonia to nitrite, the nitrite bacs then process the nitrite to nitrate.   So, that's why you don't have nitrite showing up.  Its just going straight to nitrate.  I'd expect that with mature media.  

The nitrate test is quite finnicky and often gives poor results.  Just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite.  The nitrate will take care of itself.

eaglesaquarium said:
It means that your bacteria are fairly balanced, and as soon as the ammonia bacs process the ammonia to nitrite, the nitrite bacs then process the nitrite to nitrate.   So, that's why you don't have nitrite showing up.  Its just going straight to nitrate.  I'd expect that with mature media.  

The nitrate test is quite finnicky and often gives poor results.  Just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite.  The nitrate will take care of itself.
So what exactly am i looking for as far as results? 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite within a day of adding ammonia? and should i add more ammonia once my current ammonia drops or what exactly?

GetItSahn said:

So what exactly am i looking for as far as results? 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite within a day of adding ammonia? and should i add more ammonia once my current ammonia drops or what exactly?

Yup.  You are looking for double zeros, just as you would at the end of the cycle.  Add 3 ppm ammonia every time you get a double zero reading (or every 4 days, whichever comes first).  Finally, if you get double zeros after 24 hours, then you are cycled.  It shouldn't be very long now.  

eaglesaquarium said:

Yup.  You are looking for double zeros, just as you would at the end of the cycle.  Add 3 ppm ammonia every time you get a double zero reading (or every 4 days, whichever comes first).  Finally, if you get double zeros after 24 hours, then you are cycled.  It shouldn't be very long now.  

alright, thanks alot for your help. I really didn't know what type of effect the mature media would have but it seems to have helped tremendously

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back