Condensation In The Fish House....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

§tudz

A True Oddball
Reaction score
I have recently started patching up MOST of the holes through which I lose heat in my fish house, which has worked great and Ive raised my fish room temp by a good 5+ degrees.
But since doing so, I have trapped a lot of moisture in the room too. This is condensing over night on the bottom of the coolest wall, which look to be the studded wall. There is enough moisture that the play wood on the wall becomes damp (I am using exterior grade ply) and the water collects in a pool around the base of the wall.
And its not just a sprinkling, its enough to splash in sometimes :)

I know I could install a dehumidifier but is there anything else I could try which wont use more electric?
I also thought about a small fan in the door, but I am wondering if I would loose too much heat through it.
Like · · Unfollow Post · 4 minutes ago

You probably do, but you do have lids over all open water? When I leave a lid off one of my tanks, my windows are dripping in the morning. :good: Just a thought. :S

most my tanks are open topped, maybe thats the only solution. I ahd thought that tbh lol

A dehumidifier will empty your tanks, what you need is ventilation. Or a bucket of rice! lol

Covers are a big big think with fishroom humidity. A small fan to circulate air usually will keep it from condensing where you can see, a bigger issue is where you can't see it. This will often cause mold problems behind walls & so on, which is a health hazard, besides rotting wall coverings & such.

Get a small bath fan, and a timer, run it for a hour or so a few times daily to remove humidity. These can easily be hooked up to a dryer vent, either through a wall or window.

Try a small extractor fan like they use in small bathrooms - they can be vented through the same sort of ducting that tumble driers use

Covers are a big big think with fishroom humidity. A small fan to circulate air usually will keep it from condensing where you can see, a bigger issue is where you can't see it. This will often cause mold problems behind walls & so on, which is a health hazard, besides rotting wall coverings & such.

Get a small bath fan, and a timer, run it for a hour or so a few times daily to remove humidity. These can easily be hooked up to a dryer vent, either through a wall or window.

i get your idea there tolak but i have found thet the common bathroom fan it pretty naff (at least the ones here are) and you will also need another vent to let air in so the fan can actually move air... i would suggest putting a computer case brushess in instead...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back