Completed tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelp23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank is complete.
110L ( I think that's around 30US Gallons?)
Fine gravel substrate
All live plants
All measurements were spot on which I was happy with.

Ended up getting new fish though so I'm there I now have:
10 neon tetras
5 adult platies + 1 fry who didn't want to be left out
2 dwarf gouramis
2 killifish ( striatum)
1 Hoplo catfish
3 minnow
2 blue lobster

My Hillstream Loach and platy fry have stayed in my original tank for now along with my nerite snail.

Everyone seems happy and the lobsters are behaving themselves. I'll keep checking my water parameters but so far so good!

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_101553.jpg
    IMG_20200809_101553.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 699
My tank is complete.
110L ( I think that's around 30US Gallons?)
Fine gravel substrate
All live plants
All measurements were spot on which I was happy with.

Ended up getting new fish though so I'm there I now have:
10 neon tetras
5 adult platies + 1 fry who didn't want to be left out
2 dwarf gouramis
2 killifish ( striatum)
1 Hoplo catfish
3 minnow
2 blue lobster

My Hillstream Loach and platy fry have stayed in my original tank for now along with my nerite snail.

Everyone seems happy and the lobsters are behaving themselves. I'll keep checking my water parameters but so far so good!
Platys are hard water fish neons are soft water fish. Gourami are also soft water fish.
Depending on your water one or the other is going to struggle. Best to keep soft water fish in soft water hard water fish in hard water

My water is soft but I've had my platies since December and they are breeding like mad so figured they were happy enough!

Your tank looks good, I agree with @utahfish and @PheonixKingZ on the hard water issue and your fish, Your platy may seem fine but in time they will have health issues. I have moderately hard water but use RO water for my soft water tetra tank. It is actually easier for you to harden your water than for me to soften mine. If you ever decide to get another tank I suggest you set it up as a hard water tank for the platys. I have 3 hard water tanks.

Soft water fish come from water with few minerals so their bodies evolved to hang on to the few minerals that they take in from the water. When they are put in hard water, their bodies still hang on to the minerals but now they take up so many minerals that calcium deposits form in their kidneys which shortens their lifespan.
Hard water fish come from water with lots of minerals. Their bodies have evolved to excrete most of these minerals which they take in from the water. Put them in soft water and they continue to excrete the minerals. But soft water doesn't have many minerals so the hard water fish lose minerals from their bodies and they get calcium deficiency. This stresses their bodies and stressed fish get sick more easily.

So yes, fish can live in the 'wrong' hardness, but they are likely to die sooner than if they'd been kept in the 'right' hardness.

I've got an original tank that I can transfer the platy back into. I'll do that. Their fry are still in that tank too

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back