Compatible fish for ADFs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CalypsoandFriends

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my two ADFs, Cosmo and Wanda, to a standard 10 gallon and was wondering about adding a few fish. I also have 2 ghost shrimp and an amano in the tank, no snails. The PH is 7, the temp usually sits at 75-76 degrees. It's full of driftwood and there's a giant Anubias on one side that provides a dark and safe area for them, with lots of hiding spaces. The other third is mostly open water. I have a slower filter with a sponge on the intake to prevent anyone getting stuck, and it bounces off a piece of exposed driftwood to defuse the flow. The tank is in a room that doesn't get a lot of use, so it's very undisturbed aside from the occasional walk-by.

I've heard good things about Harlequin rasboras. Dwarf Rasboras, too. I've read that they're very peaceful, they like broad leaf plants and darker water, a similar PH, etc. But I'm not sure I buy that they can be kept 2 a gallon. And even if, I read they need to be in schools of 8 and I don't want to overload my tank.

I originally thought about guppies, but then I found out that they can sometimes carry Chytrid. That's too risky for me. I think barbs will get too big, I like danios but I've heard conflicting things about them being nippy/greedy, and I love Tetras but I'm worried the PH is too high. I've considered a trio of balloon mollies, but I've had them in the past and they breed like rabbits. Every platy I've ever had was a bully, and I don't want to risk a female betta.

My frogs have been loving all the new places to explore. (Though they still love their favorite corners mostly, somehow.) They really aren't shy, scared frogs, so I think some very passive fish would be a nice addition. Cosmo does have a history of snail-killing, but he's also inexplicably thick and I think that a fish would be able to get out of his way.

Anyway, this is a bit of a mess but - anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Should I forgo my idea of getting any fish or is there another option?

Fish should not be combined with aquatic frogs. The frogs are not fast eaters, and almost any fish will easily out-compete them. Another issue is that small fihs are more prone to nipping the frog.

You are correct about rasboras needing a group. These are shoaling fish, as are tetras, danios, barbs, loaches, cory catfish, rainbowfish. Danios and barbs are generally active fish, and very aggressive feeders, the frogs would certainly lose out to these.

Agree with byron here, ive kept ADF in tanks with fish and tanks by themselves, when with fish they hide and struggle to eat and dont thrive. When in tanks without fish they are more active and out and about and easily breed.
If anything id get more frogs, they are very social and do better in groups, at night if you listen one can even hear them chirping to eachother, where as with fish one misses out on alot of their fun behavior.

Thanks for the replies. I adore them, if it's a really bad idea to keep them with fish, it's not worth risking stressing them out. I don't think I'm going to plan on getting any more frogs, mine are full grown (2 years) and not even the local fish store sells frogs that compare in size. Maybe I'll just get a couple more shrimp, since I've never noticed any competition between them, and they just kind of dart out of the way when the frogs come by.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back