Compatible Aggressive & Semi-Aggressive Species

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alex818

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ok, here's my situation...

Im a novice/intermediate fish keeper...
I have a 37 gal tank 30x12x22 (if im not mistaking) and all accessories...

From what I've seen from visits to various pet shops and photos, in my opinion, freshwater aggressive and semi-aggressive species fish are among the most attractive.

Does anyone have a good list of compatible aggressive or semi-aggressives?

I prefer fish that are brightly colored, or unique in shape... any suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance :D

i dont know much about the aggressives or the semi aggresives to tell u the truth lol. but here is a list of fish that i find interesting.

balloon molly
powder blue gourami
flame gourami
angelfish
puffers
mono <<<very cool
most catfish
bosemani rainbow
red tiger barb
long finned gold danio

hmmmm, i dont know if thats any help but oh well...

flyhockey1037 said:
i dont know much about the aggressives or the semi aggresives to tell u the truth lol. but here is a list of fish that i find interesting.

balloon molly
powder blue gourami
flame gourami
angelfish
puffers
mono <<<very cool
most catfish
bosemani rainbow
red tiger barb
long finned gold danio
Monos are a brackish/marine fish and cannot live in FW.

It would be easier to pick a few fish that you like, make a note of the names and then post here to ask if they are compatable with each other and your tank, choosing fish is a very personal thing and what one person may like another will not.

PLEASE don't mess around with combining fish with designations of aggressive and semi-aggressive, there is a HUGE difference between the two group. I'm a Gourami fan and for the most part the dwarf version are "peaceful" while the larger sizes (with thankfully a few exceptions) are "semi-aggressive". It takes a long time for them to get along together and often one of the poor peaceful group get constantly harassed - some to death - by there semi-aggressive cousins if you don't do something about it. I happened to have a tank of a few gourami that did get along, although there were some dominance issues at first. Then I purchased a tank's worth of the larger gourami's without realizing that 3 or 4 were "peaceful" and the rest semi-aggressive. I HATE watching that tank at feeding time. I do as much as I can to put food in as many different locations as possible to try to keep the fights down - those poor peaceful Gourami's have to fight for their supper every day. All other species (such as cory cats, loaches and my beautiful lemon bristle nose are left alone 99% of the time - in fact the bristle nose will just "freeze" or jump into a cave nearby while the Dojo loaches just lay on top of their pellets and wait for things to pass so they have put tabs on their own food. The rest is a pain to watch - some of my favorite gentle fish at any other time turn into monsters at feeding time. I have a tank nearly cycled so I can pull out the peaceful fish ASAP - it's so close I can't wait.

I would think the group most famous for peaceful, semi-aggressive and aggressive would be the cichlids - they are a VERY popular group because there is a huge variety of very interesting and colorful fish, but I would never mix my Gourami semi-aggressive with a Cichlid semi-aggressive - I suspect the fights could get quite nasty. My semi-aggressive Gourami's fight with other semi-aggressive Gourami's constantly - feeding time or not - frankly it's just boring to watch but they are still my responsibility. I would trade them in an instant for less aggressive fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back