Compatibility

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Theresamarie93

Reaction score
First of all I would like to start off by saying I am a veteran at keeping fish. I've been very successful at it over the years. Ive been on break but I recently just got my daughter a 10 gallon aquarium with artificial plants. Currently I have to Glow tetras one Cory catfish and one male platy. I'm interested in getting a couple more fish. I would love a male betta but I am worried that the other fish may nibble him. It's not a problem with any of the fish right now but is this common? Also, what about male guppies? I am allured by their beauty but am very skeptical cuz I hear they're super territorial. I don't plan on housing Guppies and bettas together. But I would like one or the other. Which do you think is a better option? If neither is suitable, I have no problem getting more tetra but I am partial to platy because they are prettier to look at.. i dont particularly want fry so is getting all males acceptable? I will be upgrading to a 55 gallon in a couple months when I move so that is also something to consider but am only getting a couple more fish for now because it's so empty. Which should I get now and which should I save for later? All advice and suggestions are appreciated I thank you in advance

Do you mean glowlight tetras or the genetically modified glo-fish? If it's the latter, they have done this to several species of tetra so it would help to know which species you have.
Glowlight tetra http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-erythrozonus/

Tetras and cories are all shoaling fish so they need to be in groups of at least 6, with more being better.
If the tetras are glowlight tetras, they need not only more of them but a bigger tank - as you'll see in that link, they need a tank at least 80 cm/32 inches long.
Only the dwarf species of cory are suitable for 10 gallon tanks, and they need to be kept in groups of at least 10. The larger cory species need a larger tank.
And I'm afraid that platies also need a bigger tank, at least 60 cm/24 inches long.

Platies are hard water fish, while most tetras and cories are soft water fish - one or other will not be happy.

I'm sorry to tell you but you really need to take all those fish back to the shop and replace them with something more suited to a 10 gallon tank.

The next thing you need to do is find out how hard your tap water is. Your water provider's website should have your hardness somewhere.
Then depending on the hardness:
Soft water - a shoal of ember tetras http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-amandae/ , OR a single betta with no other fish (bettas are not community fish, and a 10 gallon tank is perfect for a single betta, male or female)
Hard water - a group of male endlers livebearers.

tetras and platys should really be kept in bigger groups then one or two

I am aware of this I definitely want to get more platy. And i only have two tetra because they were a gift. I'm afraid of overstocking right now if I get what I need like I said I'm going to be upgrading very soon. So maybe I can overstock for a month and just change out the water ? Also are three male platy acceptable or should I get two female ?

Do you mean glowlight tetras or the genetically modified glo-fish? If it's the latter, they have done this to several species of tetra so it would help to know which species you have.
Glowlight tetra http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-erythrozonus/

Tetras and cories are all shoaling fish so they need to be in groups of at least 6, with more being better.
If the tetras are glowlight tetras, they need not only more of them but a bigger tank - as you'll see in that link, they need a tank at least 80 cm/32 inches long.
Only the dwarf species of cory are suitable for 10 gallon tanks, and they need to be kept in groups of at least 10. The larger cory species need a larger tank.
And I'm afraid that platies also need a bigger tank, at least 60 cm/24 inches long.

Platies are hard water fish, while most tetras and cories are soft water fish - one or other will not be happy.

I'm sorry to tell you but you really need to take all those fish back to the shop and replace them with something more suited to a 10 gallon tank.

The next thing you need to do is find out how hard your tap water is. Your water provider's website should have your hardness somewhere.
Soft water - a shoal of ember tetras http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-amandae/ , OR a single betta with no other fish (bettas are not community fish, and a 10 gallon tank is perfect for a single betta, male or female)
What is better in a smaller tank

These

I hope they take returns I'll probably just keep tetra because I've had dozens of them before. I used to have a 15gallon and 100 gallon. But i know nothing about platy. I am upgrading to a large aquarium very soon. Do u think these youngens can hold out till then ?

I hope they take returns I'll probably just keep tetra because I've had dozens of them before. I used to have a 15gallon and 100 gallon. But i know nothing about platy. I am upgrading to a large aquarium very soon. Do u think these youngens can hold out till then ?

The first thing to resolve is your water parameters. The hardness of the water, termed the general or total hardness (GH), is very important as fish have different requirements and cannot be healthy otherwise. We wouldn't want to be suggesting platies if you have soft water, as they would be in poor health, prone to disease, and die off prematurely.

The data on the website of your water authority should give you the GH, and it is worth knowing the KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) as well. The pH is the third parameter we/you need.

Thank you everyone for informing me and helping me to become a better fish mom I'm learning some new things. I will return the platy though it makes me sad and just stick with tetra keep them in the small one till I move they'll be aight. Im moving so i must wait to upgrade but i'm so antsy my boyfriend keeps telling me to chill out cuz I'm obsessed with fish. I'm going to use this current small aquarium for shrimp and a betta for in my little ones room after the move and put the tetras and cory in my 55 gallon. That is going to be the best day ever. Then I can really get serious !!

Thank you everyone for informing me and helping me to become a better fish mom I'm learning some new things. I will return the platy though it makes me sad and just stick with tetra keep them in the small one till I move they'll be aight. Im moving so i must wait to upgrade but i'm so antsy my boyfriend keeps telling me to chill out cuz I'm obsessed with fish. I'm going to use this current small aquarium for shrimp and a betta for in my little ones room after the move and put the tetras and cory in my 55 gallon. That is going to be the best day ever. Then I can really get serious !!

Sounds good. But I really would pin down the parameters, you really cannot plan fish without knowing the water.

i'm so antsy my boyfriend keeps telling me to chill out cuz I'm obsessed with fish. I'm going to use this current small aquarium for shrimp and a betta for in my little ones room after the move and put the tetras and cory in my 55 gallon. That is going to be the best day ever. Then I can really get serious !!

i would suggest keeping the platy......

going by everything you are saying, i think you are more likely to provide a better home for him then the next person who buys him

going by everything you are saying, i think you are more likely to provide a better home for him then the next person who buys him
Sounds good. But I really would pin down the parameters, you really cannot plan fish without knowing the water.

The pH is good and I don't have hard water.

He seems extremely content always wiggling around. Good eater too. IIread that platy are content by themselves in most cases seeing as they aren't a schooling fish. I had a Danio in here that I rescued but I got rid of him because he was one of the really giant ones. I really liked him and I kinda miss him but he was just too big. He was so so friendly and my fish seemed to enjoy his company. I've only had the tank two weeks now. I had to set it up and throw the Tetra in right away when I

When I got home from my daughter's birthday party because somebody caught wind that I was getting her an aquarium they didn't ask me anything or what size they just showed up with two fish in a bag I was planning on getting her a betta for in it but obviously that got screwed up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back