Compatibility And Stocking Of A 240 Litre Tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all.

Been doing a bit of research for a new 240 litre tank tank and I have a list of possible tank mates that I have seen together before and like the look of. I guess I'm just asking u lot for an honest truthful opinion on what may work as he internet is full of people who think they know but don't. Also I wouldn't want to put anything in that would fight with each other.

The list as follows
Boeseman
Rainbow Cichlids
German blue ram
Bichir
Ellioti cichlid
Ebjd - electric blue jack Dempsey
Australian rainbows
Thread fin acara
Pearl gouramis.

If anybody has any advise or good websites it would be great. Didn't think to categorise it in the cichlid section or gourami as it involves all !

Thanks in advance

Plumbers merchant

The only thing I know is that you might have problems with that many Cichlids in your tank.

Absolutely no on the Pearl Gouramis with those Cichlids!  They are one of the more docile Gouramis and shouldn't be kept with overly aggressive fish.  All Gouramis do best when they're the top of the food chain of the tank  so to speak.  The German Blue Rams are tough little guys but probably not large enough to hold their own with larger beasts such as the Jack Dempsey & the Threadfin Acara.

I know nothing about the Bichir but the rest of the tank mates sound OK to me, but I'm not a Cichlid expert by any means.....................

Yeah the Jack Dempsey will get too big for the tank, and in my experience they're too aggressive for anything that's docile and/or smaller than them. I've had one bully an oscar.

Wow.
Revised list/ suggestion ?
4x pearl gourami
4 x Australian rainbows
2 x neon blue rams
And then some schools of fish hopefully Harlequin rasboras and some tetras ?

Boeseman 
Rainbow Cichlids 
German blue ram
Bichir 
Ellioti cichlid
Ebjd - electric blue jack Dempsey 
Australian rainbows
Thread fin acara 
Pearl gouramis.

.Gouramis are a no go with cichlids. THey are too slow and will get bullied very easily. Germans blues are too smal to be with jacks, acaris and rainbows. The Ellioti and the Jack may fight, but its worht a shot as they are compatible. I would just have a back up plan as jacks can be aggressive. Expect Aggresion between the acara and the jack as they are closely related. Everything I put a line through, i would not put in the tank.

PlumbersMerchant said:
Wow.
Revised list/ suggestion ?
4x pearl gourami
4 x Australian rainbows
2 x neon blue rams
And then some schools of fish hopefully Harlequin rasboras and some tetras ?

Sounds like a nice list to me.  German Rams require slightly higher temps than most fish though but you should be able to find a comfortable setting for all of the above and a nice shoal of Tetras or Harlequins.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back