Compatability?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A pearl gourami would definitely be great. They're very beautiful fish, I've had two before.
You should have no problem with them eating your other fish - they're very peaceful and quite shy. In fact, they usually get picked on by other fish rather than the other way around...
I also have two honeys - very pretty fish as well! You might be able to get two of those for your tank as they're considerably smaller than the pearls.

A pearl gourami would definitely be great. They're very beautiful fish, I've had two before.
You should have no problem with them eating your other fish - they're very peaceful and quite shy. In fact, they usually get picked on by other fish rather than the other way around...
I also have two honeys - very pretty fish as well! You might be able to get two of those for your tank as they're considerably smaller than the pearls.
in that case it might not be so good with more aggressive fish like rams and more active fish like tetras

been researching pearl and honeys, and it says none should be kept with aggresive fish.
Any other suggestions?

I'm still a newbie, but i have had my pearl gourami with a bolivian ram and apistogramma macmasteri pair for a month now. I have seen a bit of aggression from the bolivian, but it's just a nudge really to every fish and not just the pearl telling them to get out of his way. Sometimes, i have seen the pearl doesnt even budge when the bolivian tries to nudge him away. One thing to note is though that the pearl is slightly bigger and i mean slightly only than the bolivian ram.

I personally think you should be fine as they stay at differnt levels of the aquarium apart from during feeding time. Here is my Pearl

IMG_0303.jpg

One other important thing is to provide enough plant cover/shade so that they can go and hide/de-stress. I have hygrophilla and vallisnera and some hornwort floating on one corner of the tank and the gourami likes to rest there. But it is still active and i think it is the hungriest #28### of all the fish in my tank :rolleyes:

Good luck

I'm still a newbie, but i have had my pearl gourami with a bolivian ram and apistogramma macmasteri pair for a month now. I have seen a bit of aggression from the bolivian, but it's just a nudge really to every fish and not just the pearl telling them to get out of his way. Sometimes, i have seen the pearl doesnt even budge when the bolivian tries to nudge him away. One thing to note is though that the pearl is slightly bigger and i mean slightly only than the bolivian ram.

I personally think you should be fine as they stay at differnt levels of the aquarium apart from during feeding time. Here is my Pearl

IMG_0303.jpg

One other important thing is to provide enough plant cover/shade so that they can go and hide/de-stress. I have hygrophilla and vallisnera and some hornwort floating on one corner of the tank and the gourami likes to rest there. But it is still active and i think it is the hungriest #28### of all the fish in my tank :rolleyes:

Good luck

ok, so bolivian ram will not be a problem.
will they eat neons?

will they eat neons?

I dont have neons as my tap water is not suitable for them and no more space in the tank :(. But i think neons get bigger than the dwarf cories i have and if they are not bothering the cories, i doubt they'll bother the neons.

Hopefully someone who kept neons will post, but i doubt bolivian rams or any dwarf cichlid would be a problem as they are mostly community cichlids as far as i know.

will they eat neons?

I dont have neons as my tap water is not suitable for them and no more space in the tank :(. But i think neons get bigger than the dwarf cories i have and if they are not bothering the cories, i doubt they'll bother the neons.

Hopefully someone who kept neons will post, but i doubt bolivian rams or any dwarf cichlid would be a problem as they are mostly community cichlids as far as i know.

oh im on about the gourami might eat the neons

will they eat neons?

trust me, none of us would tell you this if we did not believe in what we were telling you. they will be just fine :)

will they eat neons?

trust me, none of us would tell you this if we did not believe in what we were telling you. they will be just fine :)

ok might go to lfs later and see what they got in.

A 125 litre tank is a little small for a Pearl Gourami. IME, these are territorial fish, always forcing out other fish out of their area. I've had them with a shoal of Neons and the Pearls ate 3 of the smallest ones. Unless your Neons (And Hatchetfish) are very small, they shouldn't eat them. Also, they can be bullies, they love to pick on bigger fish, which in your case are the Rams. I'd say be cautious about adding Pearls to your tank. Honey Gouramis would be better alternatives in your tank and with your fishes.

A 125 litre tank is a little small for a Pearl Gourami. IME, these are territorial fish, always forcing out other fish out of their area. I've had them with a shoal of Neons and the Pearls ate 3 of the smallest ones. Unless your Neons (And Hatchetfish) are very small, they shouldn't eat them. Also, they can be bullies, they love to pick on bigger fish, which in your case are the Rams. I'd say be cautious about adding Pearls to your tank. Honey Gouramis would be better alternatives in your tank and with your fishes.

neons are max size i think
hatchets are very small about 1.5-2cm

lucky my LFS didnt have any pearls then
laugh.gif

Instead i got a beautiful blue dwarf
w00t.gif

oh well! i suppose that's the difference between a 3 month old aquarist and god knows how many years experienced carl :good:

Thanks carl for the insight and havent experienced any issues till now and hopefully it'll continue and as always will keep monitoring their behaviour

Instead i got a beautiful blue dwarf
w00t.gif

Sorry i'm just commenting with info on top of my head and dont personally have any other gourami apart from the pearl, but i thought blue dwarf's are more aggressive than the pearl. Hopefully Carl will come and correct me.

Thanks

im not sure about that.
he seems a bit shy tho

Think almost all gouramis are shy when they are first introduced to the tank until they get used to it. Where are you carl? just because it's a weekend doesnt mean you have to leave the forum :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back