comparing 2 co2 recipes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
So I've been exploring different co2 recipes, and I've found two that I like.
They both say they should last 10-15 days, but I don't know.
Here's the first one:

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup water to mix yeast

OR

1 tsp yeast
2-3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate
1.5 liters water

Which one do you think would last longer, and put out more co2 overall(consistently)?
Thanks so much!
~Robin

the second one would be best. the bicarb slows the reaction to a more steady flow of bubbles.

i use 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast and 1/2 tsp bicarb

lasts about 10 days although i tend to change it every weekend.

how big is your bottle? if its the nutrafin one fill to the top fin (inside the bottle)

if not then for a 1 litre bottle (same as nutrafin) 2 mugs of water or 2/3 full.

for 2 litres (like a coke bottle) 2/3 water again and almost double the yeast and bicarb (too much and it'll be too frothy and start to creep up the tube)

as long as you dont fill past 2/3 with water you should be okay.

Sorry to hijack topic but Jimboo I love your tanks - just wondered what the 2 foreground plants are? I assume Riccia on netting? but whats the other on lh side? :)

middle to right ish is riccia sewn into a plastic mesh and weighed down. the white stuff shining off it isn't netting believe it or not it's oxygen bubbles.

heres a close up
IMAG0151.jpg

on the left is micranthemum umbrosum
IMAG12.jpg

behind the riccia is Anubias Nana
red stem plants on either side are Altneranthera Reineckii profile

middle right is a Java Fern, back row is 6 amazon swords (the long stem version which i bought by mistake but their adapting by the week)

and middle left is an unidentified slow growing lilly shaped thing may rip that out soon as it isn't doing much.

that tank pretty much takes care of itself with a fortnightly 25% water change. my current project is an 80% replant of my 40G (pics in my sig link)

i'll have some finished tank pics in a few weeks when all the ordered plants arive.

hope that answers your questions, off home now so have a good weekend both of you.

Jimbooo

oh just noticed i left one out, the big green rosette plant in the middle is the first plant i ever bought no idea what it is although amazon sword family i think. it was always pretty drab but wow it loves the CO2.

I have just been given some riccia, at the moment its floating in the tank, ive read it will sink on its own, or do i need to attach it with thread. di

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back