Companion for my betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of maybe adding another small fish in his tank, or maybe a snail. I know most bettas prefer to be alone but he only ever gets really excited and moving when I'm in the room. I can be sitting down and paying him no attention and he'll move around his tank like a normal betta, the moment I'm gone he's hiding. What would you recommend as a companion? Tank is a five gallon aqueon mini bow and been cycled for months now. I'm thinking something smaller than him as I read similar sized fish can make bettas more likely to attack them. I know not all bettas can be community fish but even if the companion doesn't work out I can put it in my main tank :)

I have a nerite snail in with my betta, one of the smaller species. The tank is 26 litres (6.9 US galls) so slightly bigger than yours. This doesn't sound particularly exciting for either me or the betta, but my current betta does react to the snail. He flares at it when the snail is on the tank walls but ignores it when it's on the decor or substrate. This way he does get time off from flaring at the snail! He does give up flaring at it on the glass when he finally realises the snail is taking no notice of him.

Betta are by nature solitary fish when it comes to an aquarium and should not be combined with other fish, at least not upper level fish. It is not they "prefer" to be alone, but nature has made them this way. And they certainly do not get "lonley." Besides this, your 5 gallon tank is insufficient space for other fish.

I like your citation about putting the interests of pets first, that is applicable here. The Betta will be less stressed alone, and that means healthier.

Betta are by nature solitary fish when it comes to an aquarium and should not be combined with other fish, at least not upper level fish. It is not they "prefer" to be alone, but nature has made them this way. And they certainly do not get "lonley." Besides this, your 5 gallon tank is insufficient space for other fish.

I like your citation about putting the interests of pets first, that is applicable here. The Betta will be less stressed alone, and that means healthier.
Well he isn't stressed now, so if I upgrade to a ten gallon like I'm planning placing a snail in there won't be a problem?

It depends on the betta, honestly.
I've had bettas who've lived peacefully with cory catfish, otos, snails, guppies, tetras, and sometimes even as big of fish as mollies. But that was a rare case and I've NEVER seen a betta live with that many fish before. This guy was special.
And even then, sometimes a betta can snap and will suddenly start attacking the other fish. Not likely, but I've heard and seen it happen.

Usually, people tend to keep otos, snails, or corys with their bettas. I suggest starting with an Apple snail if you want to try a companion, and if that works out fine, you can try adding a few otos (otos need to be in a group of at LEAST three to thrive). You can keep these fish in a 5gal but I wouldn't go any smaller. Cory's require 10 gallons, and that's only if you're 100% confident with your betta.

Well he isn't stressed now, so if I upgrade to a ten gallon like I'm planning placing a snail in there won't be a problem?

I was referring to fish. I see no problem with snails.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back