Community Tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tropicalfishfn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had a 5 gal tank. 2 months ago i took it down. I put the fish that were in there into my 30 gal. There was somthing wrong with the water after there was a ick break atack. 2 fish got ick an died. I put the ick medicine in there and red the label and put what i was supposed to in there. 2 weeks after that happend they died then my other fish had sores on there anal fins and dorsal thin and died. They were my glass fish. One survied so he is still ahppily in my 30 gal with no problems. and 2 other platies. The rest of them died off from this soar. One died each day. :unsure: So i took it down and i haven't put it up yet and this week i am gonna put it back up. Now for some suggestions. What are some fish should i put in there and what were those soars on there anal fins and there dorsal thins ? :sad:

The sores may have been caused by the Ick meds, I have read that glass fish are sensative to some medications and should only be treated with 1/2 the recomended dosage.
If It's the 5 gal you are going to set up again I would recomend using maybe 2 or 3 guppies or maybe just a couple feeder goldfish to cycle the tank for 6 weeks.

Don't know what I was thinkin :X , but if your 30 gal is established (done cycling) and disease free you can use some of the filter mediun or gravel in the 5 gal to speed up the cycle time.

So i can take gravel from my 30 gal to my 5 gal or just a little bit ? Yes it is cycled and disease free

I would add abot 1 cup of gravel from your 30 to your 5. or iff you want to add more gravel to the 30 you can take the entire 5s gravel from the 30 and it would really kick start the cycling process

hi , i'agree with whats being said , i recently upgaded to a 30 gal from a 13 gal , i use a fluval filter so i took one side of the sponge,from the mature filter[which i normally replace alternately when neccesary ] and put it in the new filter, a couple of handfuls of gravel and a gallon of tankwater were transfered to the new tank.. i still added 'cycle' to the water to help it on its way, it seemed to cycle really quickly, i still did lots of test just to be sure . i also transferred the fish from the small tank into it week by week using my danios first to help the cycle.. hope this helps.... :) pebbles

This is definitely not an area of expertise for me, but if his smaller tank had disease, should he disinfect it before setting it back up? I think I would.

depends on the disease i would change the ornaments or boild them. as for the tank cleaning it might leave chemicals in the sealant if you use the wrong stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back