Community tank

Classy

Reaction score
Hello! In 2 weeks I'm going to be adding new fish to my tank. This weekend I'm cleaning out my tank, filling it up, and adding some gravel. I'm then going to during the upcoming week and some tetras to cycle the water. Then the week after that I'm ordering some angelfish. I was wondering if maybe I could have a Agazzi, and would a ram work with them? My tank is a 180 gallon tank, and I'm planning to have 8-9 angelfish, a school of phantom tetra, a school of rummy nose. Could I keep an Agazii or a Ram with them, or just one of them.

~Thanks

Please don't use tetras to cycle the tank (technically the filter media). It's hard on the fish to have to live through the high levels of ammonia and nitrite that happen during a cycle. They will certainly suffer, even if it doesn't kill them. In this day and age fishless cycles are the way to go.

Can you post the dimensions of your tank and the pH and hardness of your water, please? We can't really comment on your proposed stocking without knowing those.

Please don't use tetras to cycle the tank (technically the filter media). It's hard on the fish to have to live through the high levels of ammonia and nitrite that happen during a cycle. They will certainly suffer, even if it doesn't kill them. In this day and age fishless cycles are the way to go.

Can you post the dimensions of your tank and the pH and hardness of your water, please? We can't really comment on your proposed stocking without knowing those.

I should have made this more clear, sorry. I have filter pads from my old tank that are still in water, so those will be good. I'm also using some liquid to start the tank, I'm just starting with tetras before I purchase my angelfish 2weeks later.

By liquid, do you mean water from another tank? Normally water from other tank doesn't hold any beneficial bacteria. Alsp by transferring media, still monitor the parameters as i had a cycle crash doing the same. Not sure what happened but just a precaution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The bacteria also could've died if it wasn't in the right conditions. E.g. if you have filter media from a tropical tank, and put it in a bucket of tank water, which cooled over time. Please just do a fishless cycle, to avoid all risks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back