April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

my advice for stocking fish it to first find the centerpiece you want, then base it off of that. I would recommend angelfish, but they have to be kept in a group. Do some research for centerpieces. I believe that anything that’s about 5-6 inches should be ok with schooling fish that are 2-3 inches. I also really like the Congo tetras!
Yeah you're definitely right. I really like this tank
by MD Fish Tanks and might do something similar if I can keep the discus from getting stressed out. He has 2 discus, 2 gouramis, a group of rummy nose tetra, some cory cats, some cardinal tetras, endlers, and what looks to be guppies...? I don't know exactly what's in the tank yet I'm still stalking the channel (lol).

my advice for stocking fish it to first find the centerpiece you want, then base it off of that. I would recommend angelfish, but they have to be kept in a group. Do some research for centerpieces. I believe that anything that’s about 5-6 inches should be ok with schooling fish that are 2-3 inches. I also really like the Congo tetras!
An alternative which is admittedly personal preference.
Forget the centrepiece and go for large groups. In a tank that size you could have groups of 20+ fish which IMHO has far more impact than a pair of centerpiece fish. And the behaviour is so much more interesting. Everyone says cardinal tetras are boring. I have over 30 in my main tank and they are not boring at all. I am thinking of increasing the group to around 50.

If you're really set on a bigger fish, look into getting a snakeskin gourami. They get quite large, up to 8" or more, but they are extremely peaceful, some say the most peaceful of all the gouramis. Also, they are so mellow and slow moving I think a pair could do well in a 55g. They aren't particularly colorful but their markings are quite attractive. I seem to remember that they are best kept in pairs.

An alternative which is admittedly personal preference.
Forget the centrepiece and go for large groups. In a tank that size you could have groups of 20+ fish which IMHO has far more impact than a pair of centerpiece fish. And the behaviour is so much more interesting. Everyone says cardinal tetras are boring. I have over 30 in my main tank and they are not boring at all. I am thinking of increasing the group to around 50.
Of course schooling and group fish can be great and there are awesome tanks without a “centerpiece” but if he has his mind set on it, he should then base the tank around it, which will save him long trouble in the long run

Yeah you're definitely right. I really like this tank
by MD Fish Tanks and might do something similar if I can keep the discus from getting stressed out. He has 2 discus, 2 gouramis, a group of rummy nose tetra, some cory cats, some cardinal tetras, endlers, and what looks to be guppies...? I don't know exactly what's in the tank yet I'm still stalking the channel (lol).
Everything in that tank sounds great (except guppies since everything else likes soft water). I wanted to get discus fish for my second tank but it sadly wasn’t big enough. Building a discus tank with some schooling fish would definitely be a nice looking tank. A lot of color :banana:

Be careful of the bonded pair idea, I had a fantastic breeding pair of pure blacks. One of my mates wanted them so I let them go, moved to the new tank at his place he killed her within 24 hours. Angels are fine where they are move them look out. Same for most cichlids.

If you want angels get them when they are young say in a group of 5 and move them on when or if trouble occurs. You should get a happy pair that way

Everything in that tank sounds great (except guppies since everything else likes soft water). I wanted to get discus fish for my second tank but it sadly wasn’t big enough. Building a discus tank with some schooling fish would definitely be a nice looking tank. A lot of color :banana:
I think that's what I'll do! Thanks so much for the advice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back