Community Ancistrus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have one almost fully grown male albino bristlenose and I'm taking my sisters smaller male bristlenose off her hands (they spent some time together recently in my sisters tank whilst I was refurbishing mine and seemed to get along - even shared cucumber)...I'm a little concerned that a shopkeeper at my lfs said that this is not a good idea as two males will fight to the death - is that right? Practical fishkeeping seems to regularly suggest keeping two or three ancistrus together when your tank is mid-sized.

My tank is 190 litres (juwel trigon 190)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I have one almost fully grown male albino bristlenose and I'm taking my sisters smaller male bristlenose off her hands (they spent some time together recently in my sisters tank whilst I was refurbishing mine and seemed to get along - even shared cucumber)...I'm a little concerned that a shopkeeper at my lfs said that this is not a good idea as two males will fight to the death - is that right? Practical fishkeeping seems to regularly suggest keeping two or three ancistrus together when your tank is mid-sized.

My tank is 190 litres (juwel trigon 190)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Lfs owner was right in a way.. but I dont think it applies to your issue.
If you get 2 males of equal size and strength, stick them in a tank at the same time with females present, yes they would have a good go until one either backed down or was seriously injured.
As your plec is already the dominant fish and also larger, I would suspect there might be the odd spat of showing who is boss, but after that all would be calm and they would probably appreciate the company :nod: They are generally very peacfull fish, and fun to have too. I have approx 100 breeding in a 95g and a 35g.. Albionos/Golds and common browns. I rarly see any agreesion as pecking order is establised as they grow and form breeding pairs.
All I would suggest is make sure you add food at either ends of your tank, so each fish can have his own cucumber/wafers until you are happy they are settled together. :good:

From what I've heard, you should provide plenty of caves, and that bristlenoses migkt have "mild territorial disputes".Let me know if im wrong

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back