Common salt in freshwater tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SarahPD229

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have read that adding common salt to my freshwater aquarium can be beneficial. Can I get everyones thoughts on this? Also can I ask how much salt to add to a 96 litre tank, and over what period of time?
Regards, Sarah. :grin:

Adding a little salt to a freshwater tank can be beneficial. It's all to do with osmis i think( the body works to produce salt as there is'nt any in the surroundings) I think not sure on the amount to add though. I'll go and have a look and see what's in my books. And I'll let you know the why and what for exactly

Not common salt!!!

Buy aquarium salt for the purpose. It is good because it increases the pollution you can have in your tank before fish die. Basically you can get away with slightly worse water conditions eg higher nitrate. Small doses are good for most fish especially livebearers. Also acts as an antiseptic.

William

d##n since I got back I can't find anything. I guess I need to take a week or so to un store and sort everything out. Anyway if I remember rightly It's close to about 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon but that seems a bit much to me unless you're using the salt as a medication. Before you proceed have a read of this Salt

As William stated Don't use domestic salt. I know a lot of american sights say you can use table salt but I know there are additives and other stuff put into the packets. The best and safes to use is Aquarium Salt, which is used in marine tanks and available from any lfs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back