Coming To The End

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Garbolino

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi 1st post but I've been lurking for a while lol
I've come to the end of my fishless cycle & I'm ready to do a large water change to bring down nitrate when filling the tank back up do I add dechorinator to the tank or do I fill back up in stages from a bucket with dechorinator added? I've come this far & don't want to kill my bacteria

Thanks tony

Either will work. I personally put the dechlor in to each bucket, but I know a few people who don't use buckets, so they put the dechlor straight into the tank.

Think I would do so in a bucket just to be sure you do not knock off any of those bacteria you have just grown.  Can you elevate the dechlorinated bucket above the tank and use a hose to run it in? 

Can't elevate bucket it's a 25ltr one but I do have a small pond pump I can use

It will be more of a carry on but probably better in the long run as I don't want to upset my bacteria

Good call
thumbs-up.gif

You will think I am mental for this: I put the decholorinator straight into the tank, then connect a hose to the outlet hose of my filter to refill the tank. I simply close the tap from the filter to stop it flowing that way.

all sorted, what I did was fill my 25ltr bucket & added decholorinator brought it to my tank dropped the pump into the bucket & the other end wedged into my tank & switched it on, luckily its slowish to refill so give me time to fill a smaller 10ltr bucket which I added decholorinator to & brought it to my 25ltr bucket this kept my pump feed & in total I added 75ltrs of water to a 240ltr tank

I`ll leave it to settle then do a water check in the morning & see if my nitrate levels have dropped

nitrate has dropped to 20ppm, I`ll continue adding ammonia up until Friday then I`ll do a small water change check all parameters then hopefully start adding fish
yay.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back