Combo cycling - fish in and plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, it has been a while since I did a totally fresh cycle, so few points if I understand it correctly:

I have a fully cycled filter and established plants
I have a brand new tank, brand new decorations and brand new substrate (that was left outside in a water filled jug, not out of the box).
My plan is to:
  • fill the tank with substrate, new/old stones from other tanks or from the store, put in a bucket of "old" water from each one of my other tanks to get like 30% fill and 70% with new water.
  • add hornwort and maybe java moss, not sure, but for sure not the bucephalandras
  • add snails from my existing tanks
  • wait a week, do first water change and after water change, add 2 of my remaining rasboras (thus switching to a fish in cycle)
  • wait another week, do a water change, keep an eye on params, remove/add more hornwort and start thinking about the rest of the plants to put in
At week 3 I consider this tank should be cycled, since the bacteria only needs to colonize the substrate and rocks and the expected first fish are not going to be overcrowding the tank, so even with smaller bacteria colony, with regular water changes maybe up to 50%, I should be ok.
Are all my understanding correct? Thanks

Should be fine as long as you don't add a ton of fish all at once. Technically, what you're doing isn't really a fish-in cycle, since you already have a cycled filter.

Given that you have established plants, which I take to mean they have been growing in one of your tanks for a few weeks, I would not do some of the things mentioned. Your plants will do all that needs doing once fish are in the tank. Specifically...

fill the tank with substrate, new/old stones from other tanks or from the store, put in a bucket of "old" water from each one of my other tanks to get like 30% fill and 70% with new water.

There is absolutely no benefit in old water here. Provided the parameters--these are GH, pH and temperature--are basically the same in tap and tank water (where the fish now are, assuming they are to be moved over), use all fresh water with a conditioner.

• wait a week, do first water change and after water change, add 2 of my remaining rasboras (thus switching to a fish in cycle)
  • wait another week, do a water change, keep an eye on params, remove/add more hornwort and start thinking about the rest of the plants to put in

Excessive work, most of us don't want that. Transfer all the plants, then add fish. If the plants are growing well now, there is no reason they will not continue in the new tank, with the same parameter water and with light. It would be advisable to use a comprehensive fertilizer though, since a new tank will not have the benefit of organics for a few weeks. But move over all the plants intended at one go.

Do regular (once weekly) water change of 50-60% going forward. Only if something goes wrong should you need more the first week.

I have never used existing filter media, but it cannot hurt. But I always like the filter to be clean, since its primary purpose is simply mechanical filtration and suitable water movement, not biological filtration though this will occur regardless.

I cleaned the filter a month ago from the mechanical debris and it has been in a 50l tank that houses 4 fish under 4cm with weekly water changes, so the sponge is pretty much brand new.
What worries me i want to move only some plants and have algae growth on the stones, that is why I don't want to overdo it on the plants (but when did the targeted growth worked before, am i right).
Before when quick cycling i always used the substrate or half from old tank and i don't plan to do that now so I assumed the old water would provide nutrients for the plants but fertilizer can do that.
I guess i will start and see how it goes. I plan to order plants and add what looks good based on end results. Will post a journal here once i am closer (stuck on stand at this moment)

I cleaned the filter a month ago from the mechanical debris and it has been in a 50l tank that houses 4 fish under 4cm with weekly water changes, so the sponge is pretty much brand new.
What worries me i want to move only some plants and have algae growth on the stones, that is why I don't want to overdo it on the plants (but when did the targeted growth worked before, am i right).
Before when quick cycling i always used the substrate or half from old tank and i don't plan to do that now so I assumed the old water would provide nutrients for the plants but fertilizer can do that.
I guess i will start and see how it goes. I plan to order plants and add what looks good based on end results. Will post a journal here once i am closer (stuck on stand at this moment)

Best way to encourage algae on stones is to put them in a container of tank water in sunlight. When the algae has sufficiently covered the stones, you can put them in the tank. Aquarists do this for fish like the Butterfly loaches that must have good mats of algae on stones to feed on.

Best way to encourage algae on stones is to put them in a container of tank water in sunlight. When the algae has sufficiently covered the stones, you can put them in the tank. Aquarists do this for fish like the Butterfly loaches that must have good mats of algae on stones to feed on.
If I may put in a little aside here (sorry, Beatije), Byron, it's really been good having you more active on the forums lately.

OK, back to your regular discussion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back