Columbian Tetra

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tazman12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I presently have two females and one male(Columbian Tetra) I'm going to add one more should it be a male or female.

Is it better to have a male for each female or should I go with three females and one male.

Does this rule apply to most breeds of fish.

Thanks

I have Congo Tetras, are they the same??? If so, you will need more females then males. Let me tell you me experience.

I have a WONDERFUL LFS here in San Diego, that I frequent just about weekly. :*) The guy I normally talk to was great enough to pick the 4 Congos with the best color out of the whole tank. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that 3 were males, with only 1 female. -_-

For the first month or so, all was fine. Then the males started battling over the lone female. I managed to find 2 more females about the same size as mine (~2") and added them (now 3m & 3f). This, again, worked for a while. Then the males started battling again, and I ended up loosing one of them. I now have a HUGE male that is the benevelent ruler of the group, but doesn't bother a soul. A very peaceful ruler he is :D and the BULLY male that tortured the one I lost. But, even he does not bother the big one.....guess he's not so dumb, huh?! :X

This set-up (2m & 3f) has been working fine. So far the only aggression is during spawning. I was watching them spawn yesterday, and last night noticed that every one of the 5 has bite marks/missing scales. I guess they got a little overzealous in spawing.... :look:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back