Columbian Tetra. Strong Current?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cynic

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Question for you lot. I have a 300L tank that is long and narrow and have had constant flow issues with either algae, diatoms or debris collecting at numerous dead spots.

Well for the last few days things have changed. I have added a 2600Lh powerhead.
Certainly changed the tank. No junk on the sand anymore.

Question being the collumbians. I thought they liked slow or slack water but they seem to be in the flow and much the happier for it which i dont understand. Their colours are certainly bright.

The whole community seems far more alive. Far more than i expected.

Am i missing something.

Well I guess that with higher flow the fish are actually having to work more to swim around, rather than just flicking theirs fins occasionally to stay aloft in the water. More energy expenditure will also mean a greater need for food.

I think in tanks with aggressive fish you tend to see less aggression in high flow,I suppose the fish are more concerned battling current than each other!

No they are not battling. There are still slower spots in the tank and they have never been aggressive with their tankmates. Only themselves and that is rare and no mpre than a top dog discussion from what i think is the boss male.

There seems to be a point in the flow they like. The tank has a stream theme to it and i have kept the lions share of the flow high in the tank.

I will up the food though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back