Colorimeter Idea

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nkd5024

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I was looking into the Hanna Colorimeters for Phosphate and Alkalinity today and I thought of an idea that I wanted to see what everyone thought.

I was thinking I could buy a colorimeter with all the regents used for the common testing of water parameters (pH, alk, ca, mg, nitrate, phosphate, etc) and also buy a few solutions with a known concentration of each parameter.
I could then add each regent to the known concentration samples of each chemical I'm testing for and run it in the colorimeter and make a graph of the absorbance vs. concentration of each water parameter.

I could then use the graphs to test my tanks water by comparing the absorbance of each sample to the graph I made for each parameter.

I have done this in chemistry class before to test for the concentration of salicylic acid and it wasn't that difficult to make the graph.

Does anyone see any issues that I am missing here?
Do you think this is a good idea,
Nick D.

That's a good idea, the only problem I can see though is that the colourimeter requires calibration after every sample, and for the best readings you'd need to calibrate with RO water with a TDS of as close to 0 as possible, you'd also have to do multiple examinations of each liquid in order to find a mean value, I'd be inclined to make the solutions up myself, you can easily calculate how many moles of substance are in a liquid, this can then be used to give you a rough idea of PPM, it is rough as usually PPM is for like over like substances such as volume over volume.

As far as a graph goes it'd be pretty simple to do, just plot the value the colourimeter gives you against each value or mol/dm-[sup]3[/sup] (It'd be so much easier for everyone if test kits gave values in mol/dm-[sup]3[/sup]!)

One problem that I can see is that you're going to have to test multiple concentrations of each solution, as many as possible to give you the best results, most reliable and valid results.

I'd also like to point out that there are going to be variations in every test kit, so you'd need to produce a new graph every time you buy a new test kit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back