Colorfull fish to add with Severums

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

btrah79

Reaction score
I Have a 60 gallon non-planted tank with three 5" golden Severums And 3 albino adult corys, a 7 inch pleco, and 1 blue three spot Guarimie. I want to add more color and movment in tank, can i mix Malawi peacocks? what would you recomend besides tetras(not a big fan off).
thanks

Suitable tank mates for your goldens include other cichlids such as the flag cichlid, Aequidens species such as the blue acara, eartheaters such as the pearl chichlid, and large angelfish. In addition, they can do well with catfish species such as those from the Loricariid and Callichyid genera. Other suitable large tankmates include some of the cyprinid species such as barbs and sharks, loaches, large characins like silver dollars, and similar sized gouramis.

But all these are dependent on tank size and current stocking, so you will have to do some research yourself.

Hi welcome to the forum :)

As said above Severums are quite flexible in terms of tank mates as long as the other fish are not too nippy or overly aggressive like big Central American cichlids or too small to be eaten theres usually a good balance to work out.

Firstly though I have to say that 3 Severums will outgrow a 60 gallon tank quite quickly. Do you have plans to upgrade the tank in the near future? Golden Sevs can end up the size of dinner plates - 12 inches long and tall and they get to a decent chunky thickness as well. Equally your plec will eventually reach around a foot long. To keep these fish long term, and the Severums and Plec can live for over 10 years you will ideally want a tank in the region of at least 180 gallons which is a 6x2x2 foot tank. Is something like that an option?

Then looking at your other fish, I would add more Cory Catfish. The great thing about the Albino is that you can mix them with the Bronze and they will still school together as they are the same species, as a shoaling fish they will do much better in a big group if you got the school up to about 10 it would be really good.

Malawi Peacocks are not a good idea with the other fish you have, they are best kept in a dedicated tank not a community tank like this. They can be very aggressive and they have completely different water requirements to the other fish, the Severums and Corys will want a ph below neutral and soft water where as the africans will want a ph well above neutral and hard water.

Lastly, what is your tap water like? What is the ph and do you know if it is hard or soft? This info will help us recommend other fish for you. But I would not add any other fish to this tank unless you can upgrade soon. Otherwise realistically you will need to rehome the sevs and the plec and look at a smaller species of cichlid.

Hope that helps - sorry its a bit negative.

Wills

I have a Green Severum, along with an "Electric" Blue Acara (really pretty), Tiger barbs (very active schooling fish, come in different colors too), Clown Loaches, Pictus cats, a Blue Gourami, and an African Spotted Leaf Fish. They all work well together.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back