Colombo Flora-Base Below Sand Substrate?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Creature Seeker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my tank conditions to help the plants thrive.

It was reccommended to me to purchase a bag of Colombo Flora-Base.

Now can I put a layer of this below a top layer of Caribsea Tahitain Moon Sand?

Also I've heard it can leech ammonia into the tank when first implemented. If this is the case, shall I first soak it in water for a week or so to try and get rid of some of the ammonia?

Your thoughts are very welcome.

Now can I put a layer of this below a top layer of Caribsea Tahitain Moon Sand?

Why would you want to? To bulk it out? It's sold as a substrate to be used on it's own. I've only ever seen it used that way, myself included.
I guess there would be no harm.

Also I've heard it can leech ammonia into the tank when first implemented. If this is the case, shall I first soak it in water for a week or so to try and get rid of some of the ammonia?

If you have a mature filter and carry out water changes per day then you shouln't notice any ammonia readings. I didn't notice any.

There are two reasons why I want to put a layer of moon sand on top.

1. I love the look of the black sand and don't really want to change the appearance.

2. I have burrowing fish that like to burrow in the sand, and also fish wish sensitive snouts and bellies.

If there was no considerable difference in the visual impact, then I wouldn't use a top layer of black sand. The pack of Flora-Base I have is labelled as Black but it looks more brown to me. Does this look black when wet? Also what consistency does it take when wet? I know I could just open it and check, but I would rather not open it if it is not what I am after as then I may have to return it.

Thank you.

Well there is a brown version and a black version. But yes, it does look black in the aquarium.
The shape and size difference between this and the sand is very different. I think the sand would go lost inbetween the flora base granules.
Flora base is clay based and therefore a really nice soft substrate. It doesn't crumble up but it's so easy to plant in. Burrowing fish would not have a problem.
I really dig this substrate. Best I've used.

Sorry was reading this and couldn't help but notice "I really dig this substrate" was the pun intended there as it made me chuckle :)

Thank you again for your reply.

Now it seems that I either have one or the other.

Do you have any photos of your tank with that substrate?

You can do what you like. I just didnt see the need.

IMG_1602.jpg

The tank in March.

IMG_1634.jpg

just to reiterate what RadaR say's...it's also the best planted substrate i have used. I also didn't get any noticeable ammonia spikes. Heres a pic of mine

newresun.jpg

newresun1.jpg

I wouldn't cap it.

Thank you both for posting your pictures. Both are lovely tanks and looks perfectly maintained.

I can see the benefits of using this substrate, but I'm still not certain whether I like the granula look of the substrate. I may have to break the bag open and experiment!

You can do what you like. I just didnt see the need.

IMG_1602.jpg

The tank in March.

IMG_1634.jpg

Is that a RIO 125 tank ? If not whats the footprint and how much florabase did you use to create that depth of substrate ? Thanks

Yeah it's a Rio 125.
I had a small amount of black gravel in there but I used only one large bag of florabase and it did the job perfectly. It filled the tank more than I thought.

One 10 kg bag? Please say yes!!!! I was thinking of using it for a rio 180 but Ianho said it would cost around £100.....

Yeah. But like i said there was already some black unipac gravel in there. Not much though. There is a uniform depth of 2inches. Most aquascapers would prefer more substrate to create a slope towards the back of the tank. If you are happy without this then you could get away with two bags.

Oooh, that'd be about £60! Not too bad I guess. I'll have to see how things go, but I'll keep this in mind.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back