Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Common Name(s):: Colombian Tetra, Blue-Red Colombian Tetra

Scientific Name: Hyphessobrycon columbianus

Family: Characidae

Origin: Rio Acandi, Colombia

Maximum Size: 2 1/2 " (6.25 cm)

Minimum Tank Size: 15 gallons

Care: The Colombian Tetra is actually a stunning fish. It is a community denizen and as long as I've owned it, has never harassed any tankmates. The fish's body has a bluish tint, more pronounced near the dorsum and it's fins are a beautiful red. Both colors have intensified as it got older. These fish prefer to be in schools and appreciate a planted tank. However, my Colombian is not shy and will come right up to the glass. They prefer neutral to slightly acidic water.

Feeding: They accept most commercial flake foods and dried bloodworms but are fond of frozen enriched brine shrimp, bloodworms and tubifex.

Sexing and Breeding: Reported as moderately easy to breed. The fish is an egg scatterer. The male is larger than the female and has more prominent fins than the female but sexing may not be easy until both are full grown.

Comments: I've heard that these fish can be difficult to find and are relatively 'new' to the aquarium trade. However, my Colombian was found in the $0.99 clearance tank at a local lfs when I brought him home almost 2 years ago. Beautiful fish. I think they confused it with a Buenos Aires tetra.

Colombiantetra.JPG

The photo below is retouched a bit, not to try and alter my photo, but, to show how the distribution of blue coloring becomes more pronounced towards the dorsum of the fish (actually, it's pretty close to how it looks):

Colombiantetra1.jpg

I couldnt agree more.  This is one underestimated fish, stunning colour, good size, peaceful and robust.  I have had mine since I started back in tropical fish 2 years ago, a small school of six fish that are the most docile in the tank, always in a group and just a pleasure to look at.  I cant recommend them enough

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back