Coldwater Shrimps?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cherry Shrimp do fine in Coldwater, tried it last summer with them outdoors

Most shrimp species are actually coldwater anyway. I have kept the following in coldwater: red cherry, crystal red, snowball, amano, rainbow, bee, bumblebee and marbled.

Some of the Glasgow shops sell shrimp but your best buying them from members here or from ebay.

When you say coldwater do you mean with other fish?

I had no idea these could all be kept in coldwater!

I have made a previous thread in here about a small tank I have now obtained. It's 3 gallons. I only have 1 plug left to run this tank, and that plug will be used for an arcadia clip on light so I cannot have a filter. Could a pir of shrimp live in this 3 gallon tank without a filter, but with regular 50% weekly water changes?

I was going to pop a few bladder snails in there to give it a bit of life but if I can have a couple of shrimp instead that would be great. The tank will be planted with Java moss and Mossballs, and possibly a small bit of bogwood. The plants combined with the regular water changes should surely support a pair of shrimp ?

I had no idea these could all be kept in coldwater!

I have made a previous thread in here about a small tank I have now obtained. It's 3 gallons. I only have 1 plug left to run this tank, and that plug will be used for an arcadia clip on light so I cannot have a filter. Could a pir of shrimp live in this 3 gallon tank without a filter, but with regular 50% weekly water changes?

I was going to pop a few bladder snails in there to give it a bit of life but if I can have a couple of shrimp instead that would be great. The tank will be planted with Java moss and Mossballs, and possibly a small bit of bogwood. The plants combined with the regular water changes should surely support a pair of shrimp ?

Possibly.

Do they breed well in cold water?

Yes

What would you say is the lowest temperature for these shrimp to live at comfortably ? It's 18 degrees C in my tank so room temperature basically. Is this too low?

They should be fine in that, mine are only at 20-22 most of the time. Still breeding and happy, I don't expect a two degree difference to be fatal.

What would you say is the lowest temperature for these shrimp to live at comfortably ? It's 18 degrees C in my tank so room temperature basically. Is this too low?

Apparently they can survive as low as just above freezing. I fished a few out of a tub in my back garden at the end of september. I wouldnt be surprised if there are still some living in there and its been below freezing here regularly.

Wow! Ok well I think I'll allow the moss to grow a lot more before adding any shrimp. I don't like to have live things in bare conditions :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back