cold water shrimps/lobsters

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GuppyBreeder180604

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i need a small freshwater shrimp that can live in 14 degrees celcius (57 farenheit), herbivore/detritus eater that can live and breed in at least 5 gallons

i must say that this is my winter temps and i do not expect them to breed in said conditions, i just want an invertebrate that can breed but can survive those winter temps and is small enough to live in 20 gallons. My summer temps are around 25 degrees celsius (77 farenheit)

With more info you get a much more specific response, is the tank you want to use unheated? Seems to me glass shrimp may be your answer and besides they are cheap.

With more info you get a much more specific response, is the tank you want to use unheated? Seems to me glass shrimp may be your answer and besides they are cheap.

ok, they are 5 gallon (20 liter) containers which are in my patio, they will always get sunlight from 11am to 5pm sometimes they get more hours, don't have heating and they have a sandy bottom, to help with filtration and oxygenation I have najas guadalupensis, golden pothos and salvinnia natans, the containers are already cycled and they have green algae on the walls as well as debris on the bottom to feed the shrimp, the temperature in spring can reach 26 degrees Celsius, in summer 24, in autumn 20 and in winter 14 (this temps are for around 10am-7pm before and after those hours the water is a bit cooler), the Ph is of 6.5-7.6, Gh of 250-310 ppm and Kh of 80-130 ppm. Hopefully that helps and thanks for your reply.

Glass shrimp.

They are found all over the world and occur in cold or warm water. The ones around here survive in water that is 5C in winter and 30C in summer.

Go to your local creek and drag a net through the grass/ weeds in the water next to the bank. You should be able to find your own local variety.

Glass shrimp.

They are found all over the world and occur in cold or warm water. The ones around here survive in water that is 5C in winter and 30C in summer.

Go to your local creek and drag a net through the grass/ weeds in the water next to the bank. You should be able to find your own local variety.
thanks! i will see if there are any glass shrimp in my area, thank you so much, i had glass shrimp in mind but i did not know if they could handle the temperatures

But make sure it’s a shrimp only tank, because you don’t want to be introducing disease into a tank with fish.

13 species of glass shrimp in mexico and none of them live in my state or near my state :( guess i will have to start a hunt for them in local fish stores, and it will be a hunt because they are super rare here.

13 species of glass shrimp in mexico and none of them live in my state or near my state :( guess i will have to start a hunt for them in local fish stores, and it will be a hunt because they are super rare here.
maybe ghost shrimp? theyre very common as feeders and pets at fish stores or pet stores. sold in bulk as feed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back