Cold Water Pleco? Is this true?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ali1

Reaction score
i've been hearing lots of stories about plecos living well in cold water, without a heater.... my aunt has had a pleco for years with goldfishes, not one time did it show illness. I was curious, will they live without a heater because i have an empty tank with a filter, but no heater. i also seen plecos in tanks at petstores with goldfishes.
Any advice or any comments would be appreciated thanks

Well 1 of my Bristlenose plecs lived in cold water for ages and theres nothing wrong with her. Shes back in tropical water now though as i breed them

What's the temp of the coldwater tank, also you got avoid certain plec as they can suck on the goldfish slime coat.

Best get a heater - they are really not that expensive :)

but i'm saying, if a common pleco can live without a heater and no side effects, than why not put him in cold water? Heaters are expensive around chicago...

Quite a few types of plec will live happily in cold water as long as it is an indoor aquarium. They don't do so well in ponds...

The Common Plec, Bristlenose Plec, Rubernose Plec, Gibbiceps, Sailfin etc. all do fine in cold water. Also many others but research where abouts they are from and stear clear of the "softer water" plecs as these often require quieter warmer waters. These include things like Gold Nuggets, Snowball and other fancy plecs.

Ben

remember, a common pleco will easily reach and often surpass a foot in length! unless you have a spare 55g tank available in the next year, steer clear of common plecs. splurge the extra two dollars to get a bristlenose or rubbernose.

ok i think i'm missing something, other than being a larger body of water, whats the difference between a coldwater tank and a pond?? a buddy of mine was thinking of getting a couple of bristle nose for his pond but hasn't found any relevant info yet...

ponds are outside, and tanks are inside.

Though there are the people who are odd and make indoor ponds, and outdoor summer tanks.

pica_nuttalli said:
remember, a common pleco will easily reach and often surpass a foot in length! unless you have a spare 55g tank available in the next year, steer clear of common plecs. splurge the extra two dollars to get a bristlenose or rubbernose.
The difference is, an indoor tank, even in an unheated house in the middle of a UK winter is unlikely to fall below 15 celcius, whereas a pond outside in Britain can freeze over and get as low as 3 degrees under the ice.

There is no way a bristlenose pleco from the tropical amazon would survive such temperatures.

silvershark said:
a buddy of mine was thinking of getting a couple of bristle nose for his pond but hasn't found any relevant info yet...
Why the hell would he get a small bottom dwelling fish to put in a pond that you can only look into from the top? That makes no sense.

pseud said:
silvershark said:
a buddy of mine was thinking of getting a couple of bristle nose for his pond but hasn't found any relevant info yet...
Why the hell would he get a small bottom dwelling fish to put in a pond that you can only look into from the top? That makes no sense.
I agree, he's never going to see those bristlenose's once they are in the pond.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
I agree, he's never going to see those bristlenose's once they are in the pond.
kinda like keeping a bumble-bee in a bird cage. :S

so you can say plecos are neutral? is that right?

Ali1 said:
so you can say plecos are neutral? is that right?
No, not really. Like Bunji said, they'll do ok so long as it's in a coldwater tank. That means a tank that doesn't have a heater, but is indoors. The water will always be at room temperature, (about 72F), which isn't too cold for a plec. I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody though.

Just buy a heater dude, if they're too expensive in the chicago area then order one online.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back