Cold water breeding ideas?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi. Ide love a cold water (because Iā€™ll be keeping it outside in a shed) breeding project. Whatā€™s some relatively easy worthwhile breeding cold water fish species?

They look cool. Whatā€™s the ideal tank size and recommended breeding procedure? Just buy a pair or a school?
The minimum tank size would be 10 gallons, though you can breed them in 5 gallons. Try buying a small group of at least 2 males and 3 females to start.

The minimum tank size would be 10 gallons, though you can breed them in 5 gallons. Try buying a small group of at least 2 males and 3 females to start.
Do you have any recommended online fish suppliers for UK?

A feller in Enfield was selling em on EBay a while back but sold up and went back to Poland iirc. He sold hundreds in one big last auction.
Lot of sellers got them up for sale now.

A feller in Enfield was selling em on EBay a while back but sold up and went back to Poland iirc. He sold hundreds in one big last auction.
Lot of sellers got them up for sale now.
Yeah Iā€™ve seen a couple on eBay :)

Hi. Ide love a cold water (because Iā€™ll be keeping it outside in a shed) breeding project. Whatā€™s some relatively easy worthwhile breeding cold water fish species?
What are the minimum temps?

What are the minimum temps?
Well i havenā€™t tested because I donā€™t have the shed yet. But where I live sometimes it gets to minus 3 degrees celcius. Obviously it wouldnā€™t be that cold in the shed but just for insight

There are a bunch of different medakas, so a little legwork would be needed to sort out which and what temperature ranges they can take.

Fish adapted to cooler water are generally larger than small tropicals. I don't know what your laws are, but if you can, I would take a trip to somewhere pretty and catch myself some of your 3 spined sticklebacks. Small, neat, interesting as can be and adapted to your temps as a native fish that stays small.

There are a bunch of different medakas, so a little legwork would be needed to sort out which and what temperature ranges they can take.

Fish adapted to cooler water are generally larger than small tropicals. I don't know what your laws are, but if you can, I would take a trip to somewhere pretty and catch myself some of your 3 spined sticklebacks. Small, neat, interesting as can be and adapted to your temps as a native fish that stays small.
I actually love the spined sticklebacks! They are so interesting and fit in my temperature range. Would you recommend buying a group or a pair? And also do you know what tank size ide need? One source says 2ft and another says a 450l pond. I am buying a set of heavy duty garage shelves to keep my tank on so that would be the space I have to work with

There's a wide range of cold water fish that can be used for your pond in the shed. Rice fish as already stated do well. WCMMs are also suitable for lower temps.

I\ve never seen natives for sale here, except as bait. I don't know if anyone would sell them there. Coolwater fish are not big sellers, unless they tolerate tropical tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back