Coffee Table Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hi its me and ive had a good look into it and come up with new tank dimensons
the tank will now be 91cm x 91cm x 42cm =340ltr approx 90 US gallons
with an 10cm base for plumbing. etc
as for condensation it will require an 10cm gap which i can use raisers to solve that issue
this shall require cheaper, thinner glass which is a benefit cause its also affordable

i will keep you posted

thanks for your interest

rewlyn

having trouble getting glass i thinking i might buy 2 3ft tanks and pull em apart and start from there

what you guys think?

just a few things i have always wondered about this kind of tank

1. how do you get power cables to the tank without them trailing over the floor or drilling holes in the floor

2. how do you view the fish from above once condensation starts to form along with algae on the top glass table top

3. you will only be able to use internal filters which will need to be cleaned often the top glass will need to be 14mm min thickness to make it safe as a table top it will be very heavy to have to lift off every 2-3 weeks to clean the filters ooops daily to feed

forget any external filter were would you put it

just thing i have wondered about this kind of tank just was interested to hear how you are going to address them

heres a few pics of 1 i set up on a 3ft tank

stuffffffffffffffffffffffffff004.jpg

stuffffffffffffffffffffffffff002.jpg

Love the idea! Even the 3ft one looks cool enough if you could find a cleaner way of making the top look like it belongs there. Good luck with this! I will be reading this constantly waiting for more updates!

P.S, reading this thread has helped solve an issue of mine as well... I don't have much "surface space" in my house... but the idea of merging tanks with everyday items has given me pause for though! I'm going to try and incorporate my new tank into my desk! It's a corner desk with a book shelf on one edge and a "Tower Shelf" on the other which I dont use... I Could build a support and slam it into there! So I thank you for the inspiration and wish you EVERY bit of luck with your project and (by the looks of the genius) your future career!

Love the idea! Even the 3ft one looks cool enough if you could find a cleaner way of making the top look like it belongs there. Good luck with this! I will be reading this constantly waiting for more updates!

P.S, reading this thread has helped solve an issue of mine as well... I don't have much "surface space" in my house... but the idea of merging tanks with everyday items has given me pause for though! I'm going to try and incorporate my new tank into my desk! It's a corner desk with a book shelf on one edge and a "Tower Shelf" on the other which I dont use... I Could build a support and slam it into there! So I thank you for the inspiration and wish you EVERY bit of luck with your project and (by the looks of the genius) your future career!

cheers heaps AquaBaz its good to see i can inspire you and i want to see pics of your corner desk cant wait to see how you go with it
ive just cycled my breeding setup just waiting to get chiller as its coming into summer check out "Its Breeding Time" under tropical discusion i think youll like the pics

a friend of mine has a tank like this except its a bar top, for lighting he used modified thearapy stone lighting, there fake rocks with lights in them and in a aquarium like this they look really nice.

i took a quike look on google images and this is kinda what they look like
06.27.olucestone2.jpg

as soon as I got my first tank my missus was on at me to get a coffee table tank! or like change our coffee table into a tank.
I had a think and drilling a hole in a tank that size isn't going to be fun and there would be a lot of water trying to push the tubes out of the tank! what i have seen are clear glass inlet and outlet tubes for filters that would look awesome and wouldn't disrupt the look. do some sketches of different ideas and they will probably evolve to something that fits in a lot better!

An idea to stop condensation....

Have the top of the table submerdged in the water... to do this you'd need to create a 1+ raised up areas of the table (with a little 'door' on) say 6" high and fill the tank to around 3" of that... then you'd get condensation on that small part but the table as a whole would be fine, if anything you'd see better because you don't have as much reflection on the top of the water!

Added bonus, you can easily feed the fish from the door you put in! - Only downside is gas exchange, but I'd think an airstone or 2 would solve that easily enough!

Hope you're still working on this project, sounds great! :D Moving the table a foot closer for dinner would be a pain mind!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back