Coconut Shells

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

laurasmithuk

Fish Addict
Reaction score
have day off tomorrow and am thinking of making coconut shell caves for my tank.

how do i go about this and is it safe for water and fish? ie water quaility.

cheers all

Strip all the "hair" off it, scrub the "meat" and anything e lse out of it and boil it lightly for a few minutes. Otherwise it'll mess up your water.

Here's my cave. The betta loves it :)

nov_14_2k5_0003.jpg

i made one, i boiled it for about an hour, not much tannin came out of it does this mean it'l now be ok to put in the water?

will it have any affect on water at all?

We were just talking about that the other day. Teelie is right to say to boil it, this will colour the water in the pan but not once it goes in the tank, I was advised to boil for 30 mins then soak in cold water for 2 hours but not sure you NEED to.

I made a little 'corrie village'

just thought it'l be cool for my adfs to hide in.

dont want to put them in if water quality is affected though, i have carbon in my filter so that'l sort the tannis out if there are any.

anyone got any more pics of theres?

I'm surprised the hair doesn't foul up the tank. May have to give it a try once I have my new tank set up. :p

o man, my Mum & Dad dont allow me to buy live plants and stuff for my tank, but one i rehome some of my *larger* fish shal we say i am buying them !!!

( Mum and Dad say they mess up the tank because my Dad bought one for his tank and it malted everywere, but it was not a very good plant and now he hates ANY live plant :sad:

Its a good thing I saw this thread so I wouldn't have to post one of my own.

I want to use silicone sealant and glue a coconut shell cave to the front glass of one of my tanks so I can get a better view of my cichlids breeding. Do you think this will work?

Its a good thing I saw this thread so I wouldn't have to post one of my own.

I want to use silicone sealant and glue a coconut shell cave to the front glass of one of my tanks so I can get a better view of my cichlids breeding. Do you think this will work?

that sounds great idea even if ya dont own or want to see cichlids breeding mayb learn somink more bout the fish we keep to, which is always handy.

Sounds fine, and I sasume you know to use aquarium safe silicone? You'd be surprised how many people don't realize not just any silicone will work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back