Cockatoo Cichlid Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a pair/trio of these fish (depending on how the shops sell them), but during my on-line researches I came across a site that warned against keeping dither fish with them. The writer had kept some with neon tetras and the cockatoos had systematically hunted them all till there were none left.

Now I'm wondering if I dare have any, as I have green neons in my tank, and they're even smaller than ordinary neons. Has anyone ever kept cockatoos with small fish? If I can't keep them in my community tank, is a 60 litre tank big enough for them on their own?

i've got a breeding pair in my community tank with no problems what so ever. They are the most peacful fish in there! the only time i see them violent is when the female is protecting her fry.

I've never had any problems with them either. They are one of the most peaceful fish I have ever owned. I have kept them with black phantom tetras and small barbs and rainbows and never had an issue. They should be fine in a 60ltr with neons unless the neons are tiny (less than 10mm) and then they are likely to be mistaken for food.

Thank you both, very reassuring. I'm still trying to decide what to get, and I've always liked cockatoos. At the moment, the quarantine tank still has the Tateurndinas in, with another week and a half before they can be moved. I was intending to put them in the 60 litre then get a pair of cockatoos for the community tank till I read that article. So if I did this, they'd be with honey gourami, pencilfish (N beckfordi), green neons (P simulans) and dwarf chain loaches. The smallest are the neons at around one inch long - I've had them 15 months so they're fully grown.
Or would it be better to put the Tateurndina in the community tank and cockatoos in the 60 litre?

Also, how do you get a trio of fish when they're only sold as pairs?!!

The cockatoo cichlids will be fine with the fish in the display (pencilfish, green neons, honey dwarfs & loaches). However, if they breed the chain loaches will eat the eggs and fry.

Don’t bother buying them as a trio. They never breed in groups when kept in captivity, you simply get an odd fish that waits to breed. Just get a pr and they are much nicer to have.

Thanks Colin. I did think the loaches were likely to eat eggs or fry, the way they go after bloodworm!

I've only ever seen the cichlids sold as pairs, but so many articles say to get a trio. If a pair would be OK, then that's what I'll get.

I've always kept mine in prs and had great success with them. When I tried to colony breed them I had very few young survive. So I went back to prs and had a lot more young survive from each batch.

Most reactions

Back