Coat of "Something" on the water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Attenbruh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday when I did a water change, the water I put into my bucket had a strange layer on top of it, and when I woke up, the coat is still on the surface. I am not sure what it may be. All the fish are fine but I am wondering if this is bad or nothing to worry about.

usually you can get rid of most slime just by using aeration or by having an overflow so that slime gets trapped in the filtration...
shouldn't be too bad...it's mostly stuff that sits in the surface like dust or lack of surface movement
just crank up the filtration xD

Yesterday when I did a water change, the water I put into my bucket had a strange layer on top of it, and when I woke up, the coat is still on the surface. I am not sure what it may be. All the fish are fine but I am wondering if this is bad or nothing to worry about.
It's likely a oil slick. Does it look oily?

If it looks like an oily film (reflective metallic sheen) then something has contaminated the bucket. Wash the bucket out with soapy water or bleach and rinse really well. Use a soap that is free of perfumes.

If the oily film is on the aquarium water, use some paper towels to soak it up. Just lay the paper towel on the surface and then lift it up. Throw the towel in the bin and grab another. you will need to do this a couple of times. Then do a water change and increase aeration/ surface turbulence.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

It does not look oily but rather a white liquid floating on the top

It's possibly a thin protein later. Maybe some of the foods you feed are a little protein rich. This is one of the reasons that some hobbyists use protein skimmers, though they aren't that effective in freshwater. They're more for saltwater set ups.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back