Co2 to help algae?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi does co2 help prevent algae? How do you know if you need to add it or not?

CO2 (carbon dioxide) does not stop algae from growing.

CO2 is an acidic gas that drops the pH of water. Plants (including algae, which is a simple plant) use the carbon in CO2 and release oxygen. However, they only do this when there is sufficient light.

There is plenty of CO2 in the atmosphere that gets into the tank, and it is produced by the fish and various bacteria in the filter, gravel and on ornaments in the aquarium.

Unless you have a heavily planted tank that is getting lots of bright light and nutrients, there is no need to add CO2 to an aquarium.

Does algae usualky always start on the glass of tank? I usually scrub my glass with a sponge at the first sight of algae

Algae can appear anywhere there is water and light. It can show up on the glass or ornaments or even plant leaves.

A small amount of algae on the glass is not an issue. If algae grows rapidly all over the glass and plants then there is a problem. But a small patch of green on the glass is nothing to worry about.

If you get lots of algae growing, either reduce the light or add more live plants.

Do you think I should add co2 ?
20190523_065312_resized.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back