co2 systems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
I have a 300L tank containing mainly large fish (8" to a foot 14 in number) I would like to fit a co2 system to enable plants to grow quicker as new small plants are hoplessly dwarfed (and some just refuse to grow)would it have any adverse effects on my fish if i was to run it just in tank light hours when the plants are consuming co2.

Weather it would help the plants or not depends on a couple of other factors also, one being how much light u have for u tank, and the other being how much avalible nutrients are in the water for the plants. Are you thinking of the proper preasuriesed canisters or the hagen ones where u add a mixture to the bottle?

Hi thanks for repling so soon,for the lighting i have 2 1200mm Arcadia freshwater tubes (i havent fitted reflectors as dont think some of my catfish would like it too bright) As for nutrients i have tried using tropiflora fertiliser but this seemed to be an expensive waste of time.As for the type of co2 system one of the guys in my lfs showed me one that consists of a solid carbon block which has a low electric current run through it,it then slowly disolves over time releasing co2 into the tank(at least a think thats what he was getting at)He said it would be fine with my fish ,but then he would with a £140 price tag!

If your light is not bright enough for the plats (or producing the right spectrum) then adding co2 will just cause algae..

You need to get the balance right, ie fertiliser, co2 and light. Plant growth will be limited by the which ever is the least abundant.

I have 80watts of light to a 30 gallon tank, co2, and laterite gravel..

I would recommend at least 2 watts per gallon for the lighting, then see how well the plants grow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back