CO2 Setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlexJordan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm struggling to look for and find the best CO2 system. I have a 29 gal high with swords, ludwigia, anubias, crypts, and java fern that are looking nice but not flourishing. I just bought a 24" T5 fixture with 4 24 W tubes, as i just figured out my 20" was only giving off about 18 W total :/.

Anyway, I compiled a collection on ebay of the components that I think are compatible with each other and the tank. Please take a look and let me know of any potential problems!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you in the U.K.? Personally I'd advise getting hold of a CO2 fire extinguisher, 2kg is nearly double the 2.5lb cyclinder you have and will cost the same, I'd probably spend a bit more on your regulator as well, a decent reg and solenoid will set you back a but is a worthwhile investment given it's the only thing stopping the gas cyclinder from emptying into your tank. CO2 supermarket do a complete kit that comes with everything you need. I'd also suggest a brass or glass check valve and bubble counter, the types designed for air lines are generally incompatible with CO2. You'll also need CO2 line. An atomiser will be better than a ceramic diffuser as the bubbles are finer, and finally your drop checker, the solution supplied is generally just brompthymol blue, you will need 4dKH water too, it's easier to buy a premix from the likes of aqua essentials, and then just get the cheapest drop checker you can find.

Also 4 T5 tubes is a heck of a lot of light, 2 tubes will be sufficient, any more and you'll have an algae fight, you're also going to need a decent complete fertiliser with macro nutrients such as aqua essentials Neutro+ - a liquid CO2 supplement will be of benefit too, but truly aquatic plants can be sensitive to this.

Hi StandbySetting - No, I'm actually in the US, which makes some things a bit more difficult -_-. Re the regulator, do you have any suggestions for them? It caught my attention since it was several things in one. I'll also start looking for brass check valves and bubble counters, though I was doing some reading and it seems about ~6 mL is lost per 8 hours using standard tubing. Is this negligible?

Edit - I'm using Seachem Flourish and Excel. It is probably pretty high lighting, though I'm looking into EI dosing as well.

CO2 and airline tubing aren't too dissimilar in price, CO2 line is definitely best, if I also remember correctly CO2 gas makes airline go brittle and prone to splits. I can't recommend a regulator as I'm not sure what you have available in the US, other members may be able to help, or perhaps head over to UKAPS and see if any of the US members can suggest anything.

Is it seachem flourish comprehensive you're dosing? You'll definitely be wanting to dose N and P when you increase your lighting, EI salts are a great method due to their inexpense, it's worth investing in a decent top pan balance, and always use deionised water or RO water when making your solutions, its best to keep micros and macros separate as well as the macro nutrients can break down the Chelators in the trace elements powders.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back