Co2 Regulators And Other Co2 Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DevUK

UKAPS member
Reaction score
Morning all. I've just discovered its the end of August (Yeah, I've just woken up) and I should get a little cost of living increase and have gone up one payscale point in this months pay cheque. I reckon it'll be about £60 or so a month difference which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, this has got me thinking about pressurised CO2 for my 180 litre tank.

Now, I originally wanted to go low maintenace with this tank. And I still want it to be only I want to try out pressurised CO2 :) I'm thinking of going the fire extinguisher route but I really have no idea when it comes to regulators/check valves/needle valves...

Now, Would I be correct in saying that the regulator can be an inustrial spec one (dual gauge), such as the ones found here (beer/beverage regulator)? And would I also be correct in assuming its the needle valve that has to be more precise than industrial due to the small amount of pressure adjustment required?

Could anyone point me in the right direction for the sorts of regulators and valves, and even solenoids, that I should be looking at? I think my budget might be about £60 - £80 (including CO2 source).

Oh, I've been pointed to the Aquamas guy on eBay, just wondering about alternatives and how they stack up :)

Thanks in advance!

Those regs don't work very well, as you say you need a good needle value in order to get the fine adjustments of the bubble rate you need for planted tanks.

I have two of these regs and they work very well and you don't need anything else. Well a solenoid maybe but you don't have to have a solenoid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Doppelmanometer-...oQQcmdZViewItem

People have had problems with aquamas in the past, so I only recommend the people I linked to now.

Sam

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yay, pay is in... £66 a month more. I think I'll try to put that aside till next month and see what happens... :)

Ok, so I just got a new job! Yay me!! means another pay rise :D Bout time I had some good fortune.

I'm starting to think about this setup from Luna Pet. Not sure how long a 500g cylinder will last though...

I would think 3/4 months maybe more.

I use 600g on my 125Ltr and I overdo the CO2 and have surface agitaion at the same time and 1 bottle has already lasted over 2 months

Andy

I would think 3/4 months maybe more.

I use 600g on my 125Ltr and I overdo the CO2 and have surface agitaion at the same time and 1 bottle has already lasted over 2 months

Andy

Ahh good to know :) There is a 2kg option. but its a little more expensive (about £95 plus shipping). I'm wondering if the regulator on this 500g setup will fit a fire extinguisher etc. I assume so...

Yeh it should, if you can wait a few days, Im getting a fire extinguisher and have a luna pet reg so will be able to tell you. But they should all be a standard size :)

Sam

PS - dont forget to source somewhere to get co2 refills, its not always easy and might mean you have to get a particular type of cylinder, just a thought.

Yeh it should, if you can wait a few days, Im getting a fire extinguisher and have a luna pet reg so will be able to tell you. But they should all be a standard size :)

Sam

PS - dont forget to source somewhere to get co2 refills, its not always easy and might mean you have to get a particular type of cylinder, just a thought.

Good call ;)

I won't be getting this for some weeks yet, depending on a few factors :) Appart from the new job (and more money!) I'm selling off a PC to a mate, and he hasn't agreed totally to buy it yet ;)

Would be interested to know though, as it might be cheaper/easier (certainly postage wise) to get just the regulator/solenoid and then get a 2kg fire extinguisher.

The more I do it the more it works out cheaper to go the FE route and get a German reg. I just got a 2kg FE from ebay for £22 including postage, cant say fairer than that!

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ123safer4u

Sam

Yeah, just saw your post! I'm gonna watch one and see what it goes for, and maybe bid ;) What regulator and solenoid do you have? I don't seem to be able to find a solenoid + regulator set without the CO2 cylinder from Luna Pets.

No not really, but it did get quite hot and you have to attach it to the reg yourself, which isn't tricky really, but the reg i attached it to (an aquamedic reg BTW) ended up leaking, so I just decided, 'why complicate things?' so have a very simple cylinder, reg, diffuser system, nothing I dont need :)

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back